Engine suffix UCE

heraldcoupe

I encountered this engine today. No precise history known, but it appears to have never been in a car, and it's (now deceased) former owner had connections with Cranfield.
I'll hopefully have some photographs by the end of the week, but for now I was wondering if the suffux UCE was familiar to anyone. The prefix is FM, number somewhere in the middle of 1500 Spitfire production. There's plenty to suggest it's experimental, of which more when I have photos....

Cheers,
Bill.

I hadn't thought of air injection, but that would make sense.

Karen suggested that the adaptor between oil filter and block might be part of with a dry sump configuration. The regular dipstick port blanked off, there is a dipstick on the lefthand side with it's tube entering the sump near the bottom edge. I've not taken out the dipstick to check it's appearance, I suspect it may be a flexible type which reaches to the very bottom of the sump.

Cheers,
Bill.

Bill,
That dipstick arrangement is distinctive. It is the mark of a California spec Spitfire engine of the very late 1970s. I believe the catalytic converter interfered with the usual location of the dipstick so Leyland resorted to adapting it to the sump drain using a banjo fitting. There was a thread on this subject this spring on the Triumph Experience Forum site in North America. A member needed to replace the banjo bolt as the one on his engine had been rounded to the point of uselessness.
                                                                                    Cheers,
                                                                                    Paul