Tyre preferences.

AAC567X

When I got AAC, it came with a set of new Firestone Firehawk 195/55 15 85H tyres. I'd never driven on Firestone tyres before, but they had plenty of tread and seemed a match for the car. During the winter I've found that their adhesion, especially in the wet, is far less than the Goodyear Hydragrip of a similar size that I used on the Volvo 940ST for nearly a decade (over multiple front/rear pairs). They seem to be more suited for the school run in a Ka 1·2 or Fiat 500.

I'm looking ahead to the options I'll have when the Firestones are ready for replacement. Unfortunately, Goodyear have dropped the Hydragrip and introduced the Eagle Vector 2+ which I have never used.

Does anyone have experience of the Vector 2+ on a lightweight sports - or any suggestions for an alternative with excellent wet grip?

I like the goodyear efficientgrips, used them on an mx5 in 14"size and they were excellent.
Also happy with Falken 914's (13") on my spitfire

Best to have a look at the tyre tests, see what they flag up. The new michelin cross climate seem to offer some advantages if you are after a strong winter performer....
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Michelin-CrossClimate-launched-is-this-a-game-changer.htm

Quoted from cliftyhanger
I like the goodyear efficientgrips, used them on an mx5 in 14"size and they were excellent.
Also happy with Falken 914's (13") on my spitfire

Best to have a look at the tyre tests, see what they flag up. The new michelin cross climate seem to offer some advantages if you are after a strong winter performer....
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Michelin-CrossClimate-launched-is-this-a-game-changer.htm

The CrossClimate is a summer tyre with winter capabilities and is brilliant.
Of course some of you would say that I would say that but I was there at the launch on the French/Swiss border and I  enjoyed testing it against competitors. They have also been excellent on my Rover 214 all through winter and I bought them through Blackcircles.com

Depends on the size you are fitting 13"- 15"? And of course how you want to use them.
I currently have Yokohama S.drive AS01 195/55 R15 fitted to my Sprint engines TR7 FHC and they are rather good (and soft).
Lots and lots of grip in corners and even very decent performance in the wet.
Slightly noisy according to the reviews but not loud enough, as their sound is easily drowned by the Webers up front (evil)

The DHC with 13" wheels is shod with more humble Continental Ecocontact3 185/70-R13.
And for some relaxed cruizzzing in the country (well in my book (whistle)) they are fine, with good grip also in the wet.
But they have a tendency to make all sorts of humiliating sounds under hard braking (shy)

I also have a set of banded 13"steel with Yokohama A021-R, 185/70 R13 tyres for the DHC.
They are road legal racing tyres and rather brilliant both in the dry and the wet.
But slightly noisy (again who cares) and very soft, so won't last very long.
And not cheap. They will be fitted to the '76 FHC I am currently resorting.

Thanks to everyone for the comments. As mentioned in the original post, I'll be fitting 195/55R15 85H tyres to a TR7 on a set of Montego Turbo 6J diamond-lattice-style rims and using them for moderately rapid driving in one of the wettest parts of the UK.

Scrapman: Which exact product are you using? EfficientGrip, Optigrip or Vector?

My TR7 has Continental Premium Contact 2 - 185/55 VR15 fitted all around on 15" MGF wheels. I selected them as giving good grip and decent performance in the wet & have covered 32k miles on them since 2008 & replaced them with the same type in 2015.

Cheers

Howard