13/60 TYRE PRESSURE

DC6789

I run 28 front 30 rear on my Vitesse but with 175/70 tyres fitted, it seems to drive ok, with reasonable ride comfort and the steering not to heavy. (The Vitesse Handbook however states 24 Front and 26 Rear for the standard 155/80 tyres on the Mk2 Vitesse?)

I suspect the front pressure should be less on a herald with the lighter engine, say 22 front 24 rear if only one person in the Car, but this may have been the recommended pressures for crossply tyres :-/?  

I have allways found pressure is more a matter of choice than what anyone or book recommends.   On my Heralds I run 28lbs front and rear.  My Dolomite 30 front and rear.   I have also found no single figure is good for every brand and or tread design.  One must experiment with different pressures to find what they like in handling and wear.  28 to 30 is a good starting point.  If you only go with ride, that might not be best for handling and wear.   When radials first came out, they recommended lower pressure, NOT SO in my book as lower meant bad handling and quick wear out.  On some cars lower pressure causes sidewalls to flex too much. Here in the states tires have weight ratings while this should not be a problem with Triumph's a under rated tire will cause problems.  The above is for normal driving, race, off road and the like are a different matter.

NOTE: not all pressure gauge's and pump's are Equal!  Invest in a good gauge and refrain from using more than one at a time on each wheel.

• 2 weeks later...