From rubber to alloy bumpers

Martin M

The valances are the same, but you will need to remove the strips that hold the rubbers on.
However, it is quite possible the valances are rotten around the strips.....they often are.

The front quarters really need an extra bracket adding, but I never had them on my vitesse.

Fibreglass valances seem to be OK, or at least were. Last ones I fitted were used, and that was 10 years ago.

There's some info and pictures of fibreglass valances in the link below. Sorry, but the photos won't show up until my bandwidth ticker resets in a week or two!

http://www.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/forum10/Blah.pl?m-1393015376/s-8/

Just be sure to have some nice big washers for the fixing to the body and the bumpers to the fiberglass to spread the load so the fiberglass does not crack, the rubber bumper are quite heavy so there is little differnce in the weight.

I fitted the rear fibreglass ones they are fine , not the same as metal but fine for MOT , IMHO. I called Honeybourne mouldings and arranged to collect they offered me discount. They gave me a spit tunnel which i didnt notice until i got home,they sent me out a herald one Free of charge and told me to keep the other tunnel!

I have a set of rear valence and rear 3/4 valences from Honeybourne. I have yet to paint and fit them, but they seem to be well made. Obviously I can't comment on how well they fit yet. The point about load spreading washers is good. I have alloy bumpers on my 13/60 and I am considering using rivet nuts to avoid cracking the fibreglass.

So lets sum up:

The valances that are good, there I have to remove the "strip"
Fibre Glass: hhmmm, seem to be okish, but I hope I only need one rear left hand one after having dismantled them. So then I will most probably  stick to metal there.

Car has really not much rot (lived in Christchurch, NZ until 199x?)

@ encom: may take some time to report back  :)  ;)

Cheers
Martin