body tub removal gt6 mk3

system6

hi
        My GT6 turned up today and straight away started prepping for tub removal ,  ,.....but do i need to brace the tub before i remove the boltwork holding it to the chassis , it i dont brace it and with sills both u/s , doors off etc is there a chance that it might 'warp' , if thats ok , is it then safe to carry out panel removal/repairs welding etc  ,......or should i leave it on the chassis  carry out the body repairs and remove the tub when repairs complete                                      
                                                    Thanks in advance

I would brace it, and leave it on the chassis (see my spit resto threads) and repair the body.
Then remove it from the chassis for the rest of the work.

Some remove them and do the body, but you run the risk of it being all out of line.

Get hold of lots of mole grips, take off the panels (one side ate time) offer up the new ones, clamp in place (or tack weld) then test fit the door to check. It's better to take more time doing this, as the end result will be worth it!  :)

Take off both doors and weld a metal bar into the gap to hold structure. Either this or shove a bit of wood into the gap which is a tight fit, you'll see when the body is taken off you wont be able to remove that wood without a saw ;) You shouldn't notice much flex with it being a GT6 anyway though as it's got a solid roof.

You have to brace it with the doors still attached! 1) so you keep the correct gaps, and 2) so you can remove and re fit as you are testing the fit of the panels.
Needs to be securely attached. Even a gt6 body can move!

I did mine in a cross section, so that I have room to move around the sill area as I weld.

8940 wrote:
sheepy..... i was thinking of removing the doors making a tie rod and  using  one  each side approx mid-way between door posts then tack welding them in place , would that be ok...?

Yes, if you tack it to the rear edge of the door, so it will give you the place to fit the doors to test fit!

Trust me, time spent fitting and adjusting and re test fitting will pay dividends in the end when your doors will fit and the gaps are good!  ;)

Also, if you weld the bars in place with the doors on you will be able to put the bar in such a position as to not interfere with the door latches and window cranks. This will allow you to replace the doors with the bracing in place should you desire to check the fitment of the doors once your repairs are complete, that and depending on the extent of your work you may need to put the door on to make sure other panels are correctly aligned. Aftermarket panels tend to need a little massaging to get correct sometimes.