MK3 Spitfire Door Seals

jamie31888

Hi all,

My last post seemed to dissapear when the forum went down yesterday.

Can anyone tell me where i can get some original type door seals?

The seals i have fitted seem to make closing the door a bit tight.

Also how far down the a post should the p seal go?

Any help much appreciated.

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

It's me again!

Like you I had the "fur-flex" type fitted, they made the doors pretty hard to shut, but it got better with continued use. The biggest pain I found was making them fit across the join from the A-Post to the windscreen frame - it was so proud it "wrinkled" the vinyl door capping.

I bought some door seals from a trader at Stoneleigh last year, they are pretty plain with a much thinner profile, the doors shut much better now with them on. I'm yet to get around to fitting a new door capping [which i have].

Anyone know which type are original??

Alex

Pictures from US ebay, a very original GT6+ for sale a few years ago. Don't know if they are different, but have seen the same (lower part, but cut at the top of windscreen, see below) on a very original mk 2 spitfire here in Denmark...
I didn't bother fitting them on my own mk 3 spit though...

Ah - many thanks for the photos.

I'm putting GT6 quarterlights in my Mk2 Spitfire so very helpful as looks like the fat portion of the p seal provides sealing for the outter of the quarterlight - rather than middle.  If fitting to a std Mk3 I expect would provide sealing for the outter of the window.  IE: when the door is closing the window 'rolls' under the p seal.

May be wrong but would make sense.

4457 wrote:
Looks like the bulge of the p seal sits slightly over the edge of the screen frame .  

It shouldn't. The correct P-seal profile's leg butts into the corner between the flange and windscreen pillar, the bulb ends up being just inboard of the gutter. The lip of the main door seal sits over the bulb, so only a qurter of the P-seal's bulb remains visible on the windscreen frame.
I'm not convinced the door seals on this car are original, look at the back upper corner which should be fully formed. That would correspond with the P-seal either being incorrectly placed, or over-sized as there are still some incorrect profiles being marketed.

Quote:
Can't really understand why the seal goes down that far?

That aspect is correct, I'd speculate that it's intended to stop water running down into the courtesy light switch. The A-post in general is often the source of a wet leg in a Spitfire or GT6.

Cheers,
Bill.

Thanks Bill, seems like your the man in the know.

Does the gap between my p seal and screen frame edge look about right?

Pic was taken with the leg of the seal held up against the corner

I'm aware the bubble door seal I have fiited is incorrect, i need to get some original type ones .

Jamie

4457 wrote:
Does the gap between my p seal and screen frame edge look about right?

Pic was taken with the leg of the seal held up against the corner

It looks about right. I fit the P-seal first, then push the main seal over it, it makes the alignment easier with contact adhesive.
The P-seal was originally fitted with an excess of about an inch sticking up above the capping of the windscreen frame. Looks very strange but I promise you that's how it was done!

When fitted together with a bubble seal, there can be a lot of outward pressure on the glass. The P-seal's main function is to stop the glass rubbing against the windscreen frame, though it provides more of a sealing function lower down on the A-post.

Cheers,
Bill.