Spontaneously combusting door glass!!!

Josh

Well this morning when popping my car into the garage, for no particular reason to my knowledge the drivers door glass exploded into my lap.  

Two questions
1. does anyone else have any experience with imploding windows?

2. does anyone have a drivers side glass for a herald anywhere in Birmingham?

Now for the good bit...

I had one explode on my Coupe once as we arrived at a show. The glass was loose in it's runner though and we were trying to relocate it at the time having driven to the show with windows down, not using much force though.

A weakness in the glass is likely to emanate from a chipped or otherwise damaged area. Favourite weak spot is the front top corner, the glass often chips here if it hits the top of the runner when fully wound up,

Cheers,
Bill.

This is not as uncommon as some would think.  As Bill said any week spot, chip or small crack can cause this. Most often it's the outside temp.  Very cold glass can become brittle (older more so) and the shock of closing will cause this. Add all of this, if window is hard to roll up and is binding in the tracks. If the rear of the window was slightly tilted inward, striking the B post could have put just enough pressure to bend the glass.  Pict shows most of the missing glass is at the top rear.

In your case I would take the outer weather strip off about 1/2 way.  The clips if needed to put back are easy to obtain.

Broken Glass, I am still finding small bits of broken glass everywhere in my Dolly form the windshield misshap on the 09 10CR.

I am no expert.  When I put the door glass in my resto project, I found if I tilted the vent frame forward at the top and then put the inner weather strip in first, then put the outer on about 1/2 way from the front, the glass would angle in.  Then you have room the clip the rest of the outer weatherstrip on.  Worst part is getting the two metal channels on the bottom of the glass passed the weatherstrip.  2ed hardest is putting the two little round retainers on the arms inside the door.  If you understand this I hope it helps.  Assume their is a better way.

In your case I would take the outer weather strip about 1/2 way off from the rear. If needed the clips and tool are easy to get from most vendors.