Re-skinning GT6/Spitfire doors

daedalusminos

After not being 100% satisfied with the re-skin I did 25 odd years ago (yes I'm still restoring it!) I decided to buy a new LH door skin for my GT6 MK1 and re do it.

I ordered the part from Rimmer's (RL1368) manufactured by SteelCraft (TS 11A LH). When it arrived (very well packed) it didn't look like it had the right curve, and sure enough after making a template taken from the good (original factory part) RH the replacement was a long way off...see photos.

Question is, are they all supplied like this now or have I received a duff panel? I've only seen one previous post regarding incorrect curvature on these panels and that was on this forum back in 2015.

Oh, is it really still only paid up members that can post photos?! Hopefully this link will work...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tmZUejSQG4L59EL6A

• 2 weeks later...

Just slowly work the fold. Don't tack weld it until you have it where you like. I only found just a handful of tack welds when I did mine. 

I did need to adjust the lower leading corner on both skins, as well as add a little metal to close the upper gap between the door and the bonnet.

as for as pics, you can directly link to a file hosted elsewhere, such as on google photos. Simply click the picture icon and paste the URL. Adjust the photo to size and there you go.