Gt6s

Just bought a new 200 amp Wolf inverter and TIG welder combined off ebay. £260 delivered (Good value).
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wolf-Tig-200-DC-Inverter-Welder-with-Welding-Kit-BNIB_W0QQitemZ250718598216QQcategoryZ30900QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp5197.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D4838538428685235203
It arrived on monday. Looks good, high frequency start, a good quality long leaded 250amp WP26 tig torch.
I have not tried it out yet as I have to transport it out to my workshop and still gathering up needed items, welding rods, spare tungstens, 30 amp plug (Draws 22 Amps at full current though will run off a 13 Amp at lower settings) Gas hose and regulator fitting (which acording to instructions should have been supplied in kit), Welding rods (local motor factors and welding supplier do'nt have any) earth lead and clamp (the one supplied is only a meter long and earth clamp is poor quality) no big deal.
So welding rods ordered and I cannot wait to try it out.
First thing to make up will be a stand for it to sit on.

339 wrote:
not wanting to teach you to suck eggs but if you are using it to weld steel you can use mig wire as a filler.  Just cut a length off a roll and use it as a rod.

Looks ok for the money

Yeah I know.

For a proper HF start TIG welder with a brand name it is good value.

Yes it's for mild steel (Funny enough I have stainless MIG wire and TIG rods) MIG wire will weld but it's a bit bendy, welding rods will be in tomorrow anyway.

Could also use coat hangers.
No, not wooden or plastic ones.

piman wrote:
Hello GT6s,

if you are not aware of this site, and looking for advice, it is a mine of information:- http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/

Alec

Thanks for that link.

Not a complete novice at TIG welding I worked (hands on) for a welder / generator hire company for three years.
Thats part of the reason I have a 1957 Lister 4.5KVA startomatic generator reserected from scrap, 30 years as a garden ornament and severe frost damage.

339 wrote:
I can get a good quality 200amp AC inverter tig welder for about £400 from my welding supplier thru work.  Trade discount is FAB.

Be aware that there are mountains of Chinese welders about, Chinese TIG welders have poor reliability reputations.
Expensive doorstops I have heard quoted.
Search TIG on ebay to see how many are about.

Gt6s wrote:

Be aware that there are mountains of Chinese welders about, Chinese TIG welders have poor reliability reputations.
Expensive doorstops I have heard quoted.
Search TIG on ebay to see how many are about.

We have been using a "parweld xti200" for 3 years at work.  It's used for about 7 hours a day 5/6 days a week. we have welded upto 6mm ali. The quality is good and it has given very good service with no down time.  We do use a water cooled torch to keep the temp down at the head but thats it.  I paid £416.80 for it.

339 wrote:

We have been using a "parweld xti200" for 3 years at work.  It's used for about 7 hours a day 5/6 days a week. we have welded upto 6mm ali. The quality is good and it has given very good service with no down time.  We do use a water cooled torch to keep the temp down at the head but thats it.  I paid £416.80 for it.

Parweld is a sound uk made welder, not like lots of other cheap CHINESE welders knocking about.

Gt6s wrote:

Parweld is a sound uk made welder, not like lots of other cheap CHINESE welders knocking about.

The xti200 is not made in the UK.  This is their budget entry level machine and is made in the far east.  I don't think that ANY of the parweld range is UK made anymore.  Still the xti200@£400 is good value for money and proves my point of being able to buy one for the money.

How are you getting on with yours?  Have you done any weld tests yet?

Yeah got all the stuff I needed for it , a longer earth lead with a DECENT clamp the supplied earth was only a meter long and had a poor clamp on it, a few spare tungstens, nice long gas hose so I dont have to remove the bottle off the MIG, a high current plug.

So far so good tried her out my only consern is that the HF spark is a bit weak tungsten needs to be very close to workpiece to start the arc, will take a bit of practice but I wll get there. A little bit suprised that it has timed post gas built in I did not expect it to have that. Well pleased so far.
Also tried out my new auto darkening welding helmet well chuffed with that £25 NEW off ebay a top quality item too, very light and comfortable.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOP-SPECIFICATION-SOLAR-AUTO-DARK-WELDING-HELMET-MASK-/110598206436?pt=UK_BOI_ProtectiveGear_RL&hash=item19c02ab3e4

Dicky_Blighter wrote:
Timely post on the welding helmet - just looking for one as going to use one of the welders at work (we have lots!!!) and get one of the chaps to teach me properly but all the helmets we have are the old fashioned type and I cant get on with the constant lifting and lowering to see what I'm doing.

Go for it, there are cheaper ones on ebay but this one is real good quality and value.

187 wrote:
You will be using pure argon wont you?

No, Argoshield works fine on steel I even have used it with stainless on the MIG with great results.
I cut up my pheonix exhaust manifold, shortened primaries 1&6 rejiged secondaries. and did away with the three sleeve's on collector making it a one piece manifold.

I agree it is fine for stainless mig.

I think you will get lots of tungsten fouling though using it for Tig.

To make a good job on mild steel with tig everything needs to be shiney clean.

Be interested to hear how you go on.

I'm not trying to preach to you, just letting you know my experiences.

I'm a metal worker who tig welds daily.

Hello GTs,

in my early TIG days I was supplied with argoshield light and I just couldn't weld with it. Revert to the correct Pureshield Argon (Both BOC) and back to normal. All I've read is that you must use pure argon with TIG (helium also if you are in America).

Alec

187 wrote:
I agree it is fine for stainless mig.

I think you will get lots of tungsten fouling though using it for Tig.

To make a good job on mild steel with tig everything needs to be shiney clean.

Be interested to hear how you go on.

I'm not trying to preach to you, just letting you know my experiences.

I'm a metal worker who tig welds daily.

I agree, Agoshield is useless for TIG welding.

Sounds like a bottle of Argon needed then.

Funny That is exactly what I had allways thought (and had used) untill recently a mate (an experienced fabricator, Shorts Bombardier) told me Argoshield would work allright. :-/

The guy selling those helmets (ten-uk) has one recent bit of negative feedback had to laugh at this.
SPENT A DAY IN HOSP WITH ARC EYE DUE TO NO SETUP DETAILS WITH ITEM. SELLER SUCKS

What a spastic, function controls are all clearly marked on the box, obviously was welding with helmet set at grinding mode.

Archived