LED Headlights

Martins Stag

• 2 weeks later...

One of my Dolomite friends has fitted LEDs to his outer headlights on his Sprint which will also fit the Stag, Vitesse & 2000 range. I second what Roger has said about not all LED lamps being created equal. Best to avoid the cheap ones on eBay. Always best to pay a bit more for decent quailty one. Car LED bulbs are now available in warm white which gives a similar light to filament bulbs with all the advantages of LED. I think they might even work with coloured filters. I know the bright white bulbs don't.

The ones I fitted are 105 lumens for the rear lights and 290 for the brake lights,  but there is still an issue. The rear light LED cluster points directly backwards, but in the TR7 the brake light is installed at right angles to the direction of travel. As the brake light LED distributes its light in a 360 degree arc, the intensity is very dependant on the quality of the reflector - and since the standard 7 reflector is silver painted plastic much of the additional light is is lost.

Next year I will be stripping the lights and spraying them with a high shine chrome paint as described below:-

What you really need to do is prime it (sand that smooth) then paint it matt or satin black. Satin is slightly glossy so it may help make it more shiny, but I've used Matt on a few items and it looks fine.
The application is the smart part though. When the black paint is dry, get a hair dryer or a heat gun with a very low setting. Hold the can in one hand and the dryer in the other, dust a fine layer of chrome paint on and dry it, then another dusting and dry. Keep repeating until you have full coverage and then leave it alone.

I bought a set of LED brake/tail lights. They didn't work in my Mk4 Astra so I put them in my Dolomite and they worked perfectly. I bought them from an online supplier. I'll post the link when I get home from work. There is one eBay supplier ("led_bulbs_for_classic_cars") that I DO trust who sells the warm white bulbs. I got the sidelight bulbs for my Dolomite from them and I recently bought some warm white bulbs for the caravan.

I'm in the process of doing this now. I bought some Heller unsealed units.

Here's the issue, the LEDs I have have a fan at the back so I will need to cut the back off the bowls.  I'll send some photos when I'm done.

LEDS were about 50$ on Amazon.  

Heller units (made in Germany - Not approved by US for some reason, but who cares.) $50

Sujit

'71 USA.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an update to my LED project.  I have Hella 5 1/4 lambs.  The LEDS I got have a fan at the back so the bowl needed to be cut.  No big deal as I have a set which look like they were manufactured without the back of the bowl.

The LEDs are very bright. but here is the problem.. The filament on the H4 regular Hella  light bulb faces north, straight up, and produces a nice light pattern with a distinctive cut off whereas the LEDs on the LED lamps I got, face east and west. (There are actually 4 LEDS on each unit) There are dark spots on the road and the beam pattern is totally wierd.  I need to get some LED where the LED faces north to match that of the regular filament lamp. The bulbs are keyed and can only fit one way.

Sujit