GT6 fuel pumps.... :(

BrendanD

A frustrating day....
Planning on taking the GT6 Mk3 from London to Yorkshire for the Easter weekend. Went out to try and get the new exhaust mounts fitted, but failed (another story).. car died on the way home, started again after 20 mins fiddling.
Died again after 10 mins, kept starting a bit then dropping off again. Tools out with help of a passing Vespa rider, dry plugs, spark. No fuel pumping... then a weak intermittent pulse. It was enough to get me home a mile though.

This is the 2nd pump in 4 months, and it was a NOS one. The first one had a 'thin' actuating lever that kept falling off the cam, god knows whats up with this one, but I somehow need to get it fixed tomorrow whilst juggling work :-(((
(we only have Triumphs and the Spitfire needs a new diff)

OK, dismantled it. Its a NOS 'old EU' Italian one without a manual lever (I think Moprod).
All is fine except the 'output' valve had fallen apart. The valves consist of just a plastic disc held by a small spring against a brass ring which is pushed into a hole in the body. The brass ring is not at all a tight fit...
I've re-assembled it and had a tap at it with a hammer and screwdriver to try and burr it a bit, but its not something I want to rely on! Was there perhaps some glue that's been dissolved by bloody ethanol???
Any ideas?
And any suggestions for a decent mechanical pump?

Brendan,
             Ive just said this on another thread. I used a Huco low preasure pump designed for use with carbs. It fills the float bowls and then cuts out. Its nice as you can hear it prime when you turn the ignition on but cant hear it when the engine is running. It also sucks aswell as pushes so can be mounted anywhere. I had mine on in the engine bay and it never missed a beat. Really a great bit of kit. Some people have a second car but I just have the spit at the time and this was one of the things that made it so reliable.

Chris.

hi brendan, been reading your thread with interest, i have heard in the past that the italian pumps are not so good.
one is fitted to my gt6, although i have not fired it up yet.
the huco pump that chris suggests looks the boy for the job, i am not one for origonality so its one of them for me.
just had a look they are about £55.
hope you can sort it out brendan.

Thanks Guys
Well I've got a temporary fix for the weekend (600 mile trip planned), so hope it holds...
For next week I've picked up a 'glass bowl' AC Delco pump as it has replaceable decent parts and you can see whats going on...
I just don't feel comfortable with an electric pump...
Funny for the first 22 years of driving triumphs I never had a single fuel pump problem, but they have let me down 4 times in two years now..

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, an update on this...
As I had no opportunity to acquire a new pump I had to take the 'temporarily repaired' pump to the Yorkshire dales at Easter. Unfortunately (in spite of looking intact) it progressively failed to deliver at higher revs so we ended up doing the last 100 miles home courtesy of the RAC (disappointed)

I now have a Facet electrical pump and all is well. except.... when the car gets hot (not engine temp, but generally) after a good run / in traffic, the pump starts making an awful 'clicking' racket that drives me bonkers... is this usual??