philheys100

Both, but near the pump, in my book is After pump
as near to carbs as poss. reason, will collect Sheite, before it bloks all ye holes up,!!
think of it this way, Carbs are a bit like a Human,
blok yer holes up, and  ye,ll no function either. :o

M

I just have one before the fuel pump, bought about 10 clear plastic ones on eBay for about a fiver so well worth it! Will be adding another just after the tank at the back in the future if the front gets full of muck a lot however I hope it won't as I only recently removed the tank and cleaned it all out of rust and muck using electrolysis.

Hi.

Always put the fuel filter before the fuel pump stops problems with that unit.
On my Mk.IV just as fuel pipe emerges into the engine compartment. easy to check than by the tank as well.
In my experience do NOT use the cheaper all plastic units.
When I used them with Tesco 99 octane, found out they got to 99 with more ethanol, they were eaton away. Should have been good quality as came from Holdens.
On switching to BP 97 and glass type that can be dismantled and cleaned, no problems.

Charles.

regarding glass filters, probably not as much of an issue on triumphs due to the layout of the engine bay, but i had one fitted to my last classic, by the PO, where the carb was mounted on top of the engine (american v8) so the flexible fuel line runs up to the top of the engine and there is therefore risk of going over a large bump/pothole etc and these filters smashing against the engine spraying fuel everywhere as it runs on and the pump keeps pumping fuel through.

for this reason, and just to keep my paranoia at bay i avoid them, not so much of an issue if fitted before the pump and again, on triumphs not so much of an issue due to clearance i guess.

I use the plastic ones and buy them from Vehicle Wiring Products (formerly Merv Plastics). Never had any problems except that if you put a bit of 1/4" rubber hose on and it turns out to be too short, you won't be able to get it off without damaging the filter.

My fuel filter has been sat full of fuel for the last however many months and the plastic of the filter is still perfect and I am able to view inside of it to check for crud that may be built up. Cheap enough to change if they do "melt" but surely they are tested considering the sole purpose is to filter fuel?