GT6 MK3 Fuel Vapourisation

John Bonnett

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quoted from Jonny-Jimbo
Won't it need cowling to direct the air, as the flow from the radiator fan will be far greater than this and may mean it's ineffective. Or will it have a pipe directed to the pump?

I've no idea whether it will work or not but i just thought it would be worth a try. The car has both  mechanical and  electric fans but with them running there doesn't seem to be a lot of air movement towards the back of the block. The only time vaporisation occurs is when the car is stationary which is when the electric fans will be cut in. The little fan with the pipe ducting does shift a lot of air so I'm hopeful.

Quoted from RedRooster
Well the red one did it again in the MOT station this time, took ages for it to cool down enough to start again, so even with all my demon tweeks the problem is still there. Running out of ideas now, perhaps I should get louvres in the bonnet?
RR

That's a downer Brad. I know a lot of people don't like exhaust lagging but the problem has to be under bonnet temperature so lagging might help. I have to say I am really surprised that the measures you've taken haven't worked. The sleeving we used to insulate the petrol pipe is Powersleeve from Rally Design

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/index.php?cPath=261_264

Just been to look at the car in the dog house & the inlets are still quite warm, don't think it's the carbs as they have heatshields.
I'm going to take a laser thermometer with me for the trip to Le Mans if it does it again I'll take some temperature  readings.

No condenser fitted & the coil is stood off the block, has a heatshield & wrapped in Ali foil.

Tempted to mount a second coil on the valance, that would be a quick swap across if needed.

Once had a Rover 2000 which p/o had fitted an electric pump. He'd teed a return line back to the suction side of the pump so that fuel was circulating all the time. Wonder if something similar would help you?
Tony.

Had a look about trying to fit a manifold heat shield, not a lot of room or time before LMC, so next train of thought was to duct the aux fans, after a few card board templates the air flow down each side of the engine was much improved, so made a couple out of some scrap tin plate.

Quoted from RedRooster
2nd coil now in, I love tie wraps

Is there any reason the coil is mounted vertically upright, I seem to remember something back in the day about mounting them upside down so that the air was at the bottom of the canister away from the HV?

best is to mount them upright,they contain oil for insulation and cooling and it is not unknown for a coil to leak this oil out if mounted flat or inverted,the coil overheats and then fails.

epoxy filled ones are mountable any way up though.

Hi.

I have been reading this thread with interest.  I had similar problems on a Bond GT4S running a spit 1500 with tubular manifold and went through the whole exhaust wrap, improved carb heat shields, foil wrapping fuel lines.  These all helped reduce the problem, but it was still running into problems in slow traffic and idling.  The thing i did that made the biggest difference was drilling 50mm holes in the top of the wings behind the wheel arches.  This stopped the problem on all, but 30 degree plus days.  You could see a heat haze coming from these holes.  There was an underlying problem which was causing the hot running of the car and hence high under bonnet temperatures, which was that the car had been fitted with a 92 degree thermostat and was also running lean at high revs.  I had check the thermostat worked in hot water but not with a thermometer..

The holes allowed the hot air out from under the bonnet,  there was improved air flow and a lower under bonnet temp.  All the ail going into the front of a GT6 is pre heated by the radiator, but is cooler that the temperature of the block so if you can increase this air flow then the under bonnet temps will reduce.  It is common to remove the valances on the six cylinders as the heat can then exit through the wheel arches when static, but when moving it is my understand that the wheels and arches create aerodynamic low pressure so the heat/air is sucked out also helping cool the radiator better.

Getting the air out is as important as forcing more air in the front, as said before this is pre heated.  Improved air when moving will reduce the under bonnet temperature significantly reducing vaporization and overheating electrical component.  Louvers, bonnet vent are a prettier solution than drilling round hole in the wings, but beware that this hot engine smelly engine air could be suck back into an open window when driving.  An electric fan will actually restrict airflow when it is not running.

I understand the frustration, hence ugly holes in my bonnet, and hope my experience is of some help.

Cheers

Wen running Lucas PI in the GT,
at low speeds in town, or just idling,
the injectors  always stated to go off,

fuel boiling int pipes, esp as pipes went owa the rocker box
originally routed em along bulkheed bit, then to injectors.
a wee bit of help,

butt, biggest help was cutting bigg holes , vents int bonnet,
higher up than factory vents.

this, combined wid having electric engin fan on in town,
or when anticipating a stop fora while, worked great

only on a few v hot days did they act up.
and its been even better wid EFI on, never a prob wid fuel noo

On a side line, I got a inlet temp gauge, and wen running at light throttle, this can be showing  25-30 degs  wider throttle, and its showing 10-15 degs,   seen -8 ona cold day, even wen temp is up to normal, and at wider throttles.

BUTTT, leave it to idle, wid oot fan on,  and temps can easily go owa 70-75 degs, fan on, it,ll drop to maybe 50 -55 degs.

heat has to git oot,  even wid nee fan on, the heat coming frae the side vents is alotttt.
wid fan on, its alottt lotttt moer, infact, it can be felt a yard away.

At speed, and reach oot, put yer hand owa the vents, and there alott of hot air coming oot, even ona cold day.

Try running yer electric fan, befoer ye come to a halt, as I doo.
I doo this, no so much for the fuel, butt, for the Ign, as iff too hot, it retatrds the ign, so meks timing alter,
dont alter as much wid fan running, 1-2 degs,
wid oot, its aboot 10 degs

M