Replacing the Alternator loom

SteveJP

I have just received a replacement extension loom for the alternator on my Stag from EJ Wards - it has a repositioned alternator and the existing loom extension wiring has broken due to fatigue, hence the requirement for the replacement.

I am slightly confused, the two large spade connectors on the new loom are the same colour does it matter which connector they fit to on the junction connector on the off side wing under the windscreen washer reservoir?

I recently cleaned mine up when I had the engine out and memory tells me both are the same colour.  Being rather stiff after all these years it was clear which went where.

Richard_B wrote:
The large Lucar connectors are only rated at 35amp. when you start fitting 55amp and more alternators you need two wires.

Mine is now I think a 75amp job from some Ford (Focus?) with original wiring.  Not had any trouble yet even with all 4 headlights, twin 115W driving lamps, wipers and heater blower on max.
Should I be worried?

Julian

Thanks Richard  I have now put the new loom extension on and everything works OK. Only one slight problem, it is shorter than the old one and won't follow the 'old' route around the engine compartment under the radiator so for the sake of expediency and getting the car back on the road I have temporarily routed it across the top of the engine beneath the air filter. I suspect I am going to have to route it along the top panel or thereabouts.

Glad to help.  

I'd say make one up yourself with bits from Vehicle Wiring Products or Automotive Electrical Supplies. Then you can make it the right length for your car routed the way you want it. If you don't mind soldering?

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/home/homepage.php

http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/

I terminated my relocated alternator (55 amp Denso) onto the live stud on the bulkhead near the starter motor. I ran the cable with the battery lead over the transmission tunnel.

Hello Julian,

"twin 115W driving lamps",  is that a misprint?

Even so with standard headlights of 55 w , driving lamps and wipers\heaters, the draw is  probably no more than about 40 amps with ignition etc?

As Richard says, if anything is getting warm you need to remedy it.

Alec

piman wrote:
Hello Julian,

"twin 115W driving lamps",  is that a misprint?

Even so with standard headlights of 55 w , driving lamps and wipers\heaters, the draw is  probably no more than about 40 amps with ignition etc?

As Richard says, if anything is getting warm you need to remedy it.

Alec

No misprint, Sir.  Cibie 115W jobs for night events - makes a difference.
I'll have to remember to check the wiring for excessive warmth next time I have them mounted...and measure the current as 40A through such wires is theoretically pushing the limits over the edge.

Julian

Hello Julian,

I assume that you have the two wires from the alternator, and is it connected via push on connectors or bolted lug terminal?
It shouldn't be too difficult to eithr fit heavier cables or extra ones if you think that there is a problem?

Alec

If you have fitted a much higher rated alternator and are concerned that the old wiring cannot take the full output, then simply connect the terminal on the alternator directly to the +ve terminal on the battery with heavy wire capable of taking the current. That's where it goes anyway, through the existing more convoluted route.

I also assume that you have relays powered directly to the battery (via fuse of course) for all that front light action. The light dip/main switch isn't exactly the strongest switch in history?

I installed the 80 amp EJ Ward WOSP alternator recently with the (I think) original alternator loom. It is in the original location, as I have air conditioning retro-fitted and want to get that working.

The uprated alternator comfortably handles the dual 75 watt Lucas high-beams, plus the 16" Davies Craig electric fan in front of the radiator (which pulls a lot of juice). There are also 10" twin thermo fans, but they don't seem to consume much power.

I was a bit concerned about the 80amp alt with older wiring rated for 45 amps or so, but no problems with it in 4 months. I do have the additional wire connected to the + side of the battery. Highly recommend the upgrade (no affiliation).

Cheers,

RD
'77 Triumph Stag Pimento
'81 BMW E12 528i Polaris Metallic

I have just done this mod too..ie putting the alternator where the aircon would have gone, i am going to run my wire along the anti roll bar, also nest week end up dating lighting to double head and full beam, american spec cruise lights too, I am such a modder!
leaving this though to a mate who works on Kit car builds and is a m.o.d trained sparky, so neat!..

Why do I find electrics such a dark art? I wish i could get my head round it, maybe i had a nasty experience with a light sockey as a child?

Nick

• 3 weeks later...

Archived