alternator convertion

macca x

Try this link
http://www.northcotts.clara.net/tsscdevon/technical/alternator/alternator.html

I got an alternator and all the mounts/brackets from the spity graveyard for £20
it's a bolt on mod and a wee bit of joining wires in place of the control box

I converted my 13/60 recently using the link above.  I had no problem with the fanbelt and just put the old one back on - it was still in good nick.  I have heard that some people find that it blocks access to one of the sparkplugs, but I didn't find this.  I don't know, but it may be different on 1200s.  A useful hint I found on the web was to use an 8-way earth block from Screwfix to join all the wires together, then wrap well with amalgamating tape for insulation.  Some of those wires are huge and would take some serious solderingl  The part number is 11385 and is cheap enough at just over £2.

I've fitted a small 40amp 'no name' alternator of foreign origin. I'm running little more than standard electrics and it's proving superb so far.
I did need to make a new tensioner bracket and a couple of spacers to fit onto the standard saloon mounting bracket, but nothing major. It is close to No.1 spark plug lead, but it does all miss.

Mr.Speedy,
Most interested to see your fitment of the same radiator as I have used!
Cunning transfer of the top, engine-to-rad output by a cross tube welded on.   I turned the connector round backwards on the thermostat housing to point the connector to the right, and made up some Samco and connectors left over from Silverback.

Also cunning, so cunning I might steal it, steady for the top of the rad.  However, it will transfer engine movement and vibration directly to the rad, which as it is alloy won't take kindly to vibration ans repititive stresses.  So you can keep it!
My solution was two struts made from threaded rod back to the suspension turrrets, that bear on the supports I had welded to the sides of the original rad.

No pics - my camera was flooded watching the Olympic Torch pass by!  See another thread.

John

That radiator is a very suitable size/shape for the Vitesse, but it's not the easiest thing to bracket up for. I looked at trying to do the top hose connection with bends and rubber, but in the end I decided it would be easier and neater to just weld a cross tube on instead. (Does help when you can weld Aluminium tho  ;))
I'm not happy with the top mount either tbh, but I needed a quick fix. As you say, it does transfer some engine movement across to the rad, so It's far from ideal, although there is a little movement on the mounting pin to prevent stress damaging the rad. I will come up woth something better. Probably over the winter when I'll be taking it off the road again to do a few more improvements