Brake calliper pistons

MK3

I am trying to remove the pistons on a pair of MK3 Spit brake callipers that have never been used for about 10 years. I want to fit new seal kits. I have the callipers off the car and on the bench but there is no room to get a pair of grips in to grab hold of the pistons so I can twist them out.

Should I connect them back to the brake line and use hydraulic pressure to try to force them out ? Or maybe a foot pump using air pressure ?

They look very rusty but I think they sit just in a rubber seal within the calliper so although they look seized they should come out ?

When i couldnt get a pair of pistons out in a pair of old calipers due to lack of compressed air they finally came out when i hit them at the edges with a flat chisel aimed as much outwards as possible taking turn to hit it from all sides in an alternating fashion. It takes time but in the end they give up. Placing the caliper body in a vise helps a lot.
Cheers

Easy with compressed air, use one of the air line blower nozzle thingys, (cant think of the name) and place a small piece of rubber tube on the end, so you get a better seal to the caliper.
Then place a piece of wood where the brake pads normally go, this will stop the piston shooting off, spraying brake fluid everywhere and possibly hurting yourself.
When using this method, on calipers with more than one piston, it lets the piston come out, but not fully, (as the first piston to come out is always the loosest one) then you clamp that one so it can go no further, then proceed to remove the others! Job done!   :)

Or if that's worrying you, or you don't have access to a compressor, then do it on the car.
Connect back up to the system, and pump the foot pedal until it pushes out the piston, (but not fully, or you will have a big mess)
Then place a bowl beneath the caliper, and remove it and the piston. :)

I have found an airline is just not enough to release sticky pistons. The pressure (140psi on mine) is inadequate, I reckon a brakeline produces nearer 1000psi, and seem to be far more effective. Even then I have had a few that just refuse to budge, even after all sorts of mad attempts  :(

6797 wrote:
Dunno about in Triumph land, but when I've done Landy callipers I've bought a couple of spare gallery seals and split the calliper to make it easier to get the pistons out/seals in.

I have to admit I had thought of doing that but every book says don't do it.

I tend to play it safe with things like brakes. Took a lot of advice before I did it - once I'd done it that way I never went back to mucking around trying to get seals and pistons to fit with the calliper in 1 piece.
BUT always made sure I had spare gallery seals before splitting them.
YMMV and all the usual disclaimers re: safety and brake systems apply.

658 wrote:
mine were siezed solid i connected them to grease gun and they came straight out  its amazing how much pressure you can get with a good grease gun

I agree, but expect to: A. Have a lot of work to get the grease out. B. replace the pistons.
This may save the caliper bodies though.
                                                                      Cheers,
                                                                      Paul

The brake system is in bits at the moment so I will temp bolt a calliper to the o/s bracket and couple it direct to the rebuilt master cylinder with a spare pipe and try to get the pistons out with hydraulic pressure.

If that fails then I'll perhaps have to split the callipers.

Has anyone got the part number / supplier of the calliper seals if I do have to split them ?

I dont remember the exact part number but Canley Classics sell them, Im not sure they show up in the normal catalouge so mail or call and you should easily get them. Good luck! BTW, if you do a search for 'buckeye triumph brakes' google should get you a page showing caliper rebuild of a TR with lots of pics. Not exactlly the same calipers but almost and very informative!

490 wrote:

I was like that myself until a few months ago. I don't mess with brakes, but found out how to do it safely...  ;D You can split the callipers, just replace the small seal.

Ohhh, who was the culprit who changed yer mind then !!!! ;)

Split em, there is nowt in there to brek. you can then get the piston edges in a vice,and twist em oot.
go back n forth, also use some brake fluid as lube, its suprising how old  rubber can get sticky.

M

• 2 months later...