Exhaust options 2 and 2.5

James

So my Mk1 is due an engine transplant - so I need a new exhaust for a later Mk2 engine.

Are there really no other choices apart from the Witor tubular offering? I have heard the odd story of these not fitting the head properly.

Nobody got something special hanging around they want to sell me...? (I dream of a mike-the-pipe one!)

James

Surprised that there should be comments that the CW sytem does not fit properly - it is usually the other makes that have a problem.  

If you ever have a problem with something from Chris a quick chat with him, one of the most knowledgeable guys on our cars around, would get the matter resolved.  He does after all get stuff made to his own spec and is very proud of his reputation, and you will be able to speak to him personaly.

Ted

Ok - that is very unfair of me... I know two people who have had issues fitting them.

I will talk to Chris about it, he is always really friendly and I have bought tons of stuff off him in the past - maybe there was a bad batch?

James

lagerzok wrote:
Why not try TR6 twin downpipe? Virtually free although you will need a friendly exhaust man to make the twin TR6 downpipes into a Y piece before the cross member. Then wait in hope of a free Mike the pipe system LOL

Andy, is there a best place (and conversly worst place) to have the two downpipes merge? I have a TR6 cast manifold and s/s twin downpipe in the garage, and a pi with CW single box s/s system that I would like to fit it to.
I had initially thought to just hack a bit off the mid section and put the 'y' piece on the end of the quite short downpipes.

Cheers Colin.

I'll be on the lookout for a TR6 styley front pipe for my saloon in a few months.

I have always wondered why no-one has picked up on making them.

It is a very cheap solution for those unwilling to pay arms and legs for 6-3-1 manifolds.

Also means the metering unit is easily modified to a known standard, i.e. TR6.

Cheers

Colin

CRAJ wrote:

Andy, is there a best place (and conversly worst place) to have the two downpipes merge? I have a TR6 cast manifold and s/s twin downpipe in the garage, and a pi with CW single box s/s system that I would like to fit it to.
I had initially thought to just hack a bit off the mid section and put the 'y' piece on the end of the quite short downpipes.

Cheers Colin.

Well I have heard that the best thing to do is twin pipes all the way to the back a bit like a Stag but using a link pipe somewhere but the reality is probably twin as far as  you can ie.. back to the front of the overdrive then Y piece into 2" system

lagerzok wrote:
Well I have heard that the best thing to do is twin pipes all the way to the back a bit like a Stag but using a link pipe somewhere but the reality is probably twin as far as  you can ie.. back to the front of the overdrive then Y piece into 2" system

Get a Stag subframe and run two silencers under the boot floor?  :-/

Archived