Sealing exhaust pipe joints

Tim Bancroft

I think the reference to wire is the shape and size of the pit that is left. It looks as if a piece of wire could indeed fill the hole/crevasse. Exactly the same as exhaust gases removing material as the leak progresses. Manganesite would work well on cylinder heads that had pitting so I think it could be used on exhaust systems. Worth a try and the next time I need to replace my exhaust I shall try it. I think the trade name doesnt directly refer to the raw material and the two are not related so although I could be wrong (there's always a first time ;) ) but I don't think the amount available in China is relevant.

The relevance to bodily functions and a good curry is purely co-incidental

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, Paul.

I am taking the collector pipe to my local welder mate and will get him to do a similar job as Nick Jones has done (Thanks Nick) and will use BLOSEAL as the paste.

However if all fails, I will attempt to use the stuff you recommend.

Interesting info from everyone. Every problem we all encounter has always got an answer, marvellous things these Forums.

Reviving this thread a little (although there seems to be a lot of discussion on this topic at the moment)..

Does everyone find that it's the same pipe going into the 3-1  joint that blows?

Mine (not yet fitted) looks very loose around the secondary that comes from bores 1 and 6, but the other one is quite tight - is this the norm?

Do you reckon that I could get away with welding the loose pipe into the joint, and leaving the other two as slip joints? Would the lack of slip cause it to split, or am I likely to get away with it? I don't really fancy pulling it apart to reseal on a regular basis.

Cheers
Neil

Neil,

I've not noticed one being slacker than the others.  Once it's bolted up the to engine it's unlikely to have perfect alignment (no matter how hard you try) anyway so the primaries won't sit centrally.  Mine always seemed to blow in the middle but so far the extra clamps are working.......

I wouldn't weld the collector - it's a big enough pain to get in and out as it is and anyway it will make it very hard to get the other two out if you do ever need to dismantle it.

Nick

Nick_Jones wrote:

I wouldn't weld the collector - it's a big enough pain to get in and out as it is and anyway it will make it very hard to get the other two out if you do ever need to dismantle it.

With my GT Mike-the-Pipe 6-3-1 exhaust I have to remove an engine mount and crowbar the block away from the chassis to fit/remove the exhaust!  :o

timbancroft61 wrote:
I wonder if a felxible mount to the gearbox might assist? Maybe a mini bobbin type mount?

I still have not got my welder mate to do the clamp fitments yet, been a bit busy.

Maybe - the system that I've just taken out (4 cylinder version of the stainless jobbie) had a mount there - took me ages to work out what it was that was preventing the engine from coming out!

Richard_B wrote:

With my GT Mike-the-Pipe 6-3-1 exhaust I have to remove an engine mount and crowbar the block away from the chassis to fit/remove the exhaust!  :o

They are not without drawbacks then.... :P

Tim, if mounting to the gearbox it can be a solid mount and IMO, would be better as a solid mount.  I have a solid mount on mine, right at the back of the gearbox (Toyota box is mounted differently).  My next development (which will include some major changes to the manifold) will have one if those modern flexi-sections at that point.

Nick

Yes (see pics) although I was never able extract confirmation that my interpretation was what my adviser had meant.... :-/

It did make it quieter and it certainly had a gas flow effect as I had to fiddle with the mapping again afterwards (more fuelling in lower midrange) - I think more torque from 2500 ish upwards...... wasn't a huge difference.

Nick

Basically followed Nick's method-all seems fine, exhaust hanging of the car whilst I do the inlet/exhaust manifold cap heads up. However it now seems that the slots around the aperatures for the fixings are too tight and I cannot get the stud in by the no. 4 exhaust port! Therefore I have to take the manifold off and file it larger-oh joy!

Oh well, so far this job has not been as bad as I expected!!!

Also why are the exhaust manifold flanges deeper than that inlet manifold flanges-ah yes that'll be because otherwise they distort when cooling down leaving the faces uneven in relationship to each other-have the manufacturers ever fitted one of their manifolds to a car????

Umm, fit a P****** 6>3>1 onto a GT6 or stick pins in my eyes?

Think I'll go for the pins in the eyes-seems like a better way of spending a Sunday.

To cap it all, fell over in the garage and have put a 1'' gash into my forehead-bit of a bleeder, blood everywhere!!!

Oh well!

Right gonna stay in this evening, have a beer and watch some telly-relatively safe-no doubt the sofa will collapse!

timbancroft61 wrote:
Still, just watched James Martin's exploits on the Mille Miglia, £850K-umm!

Did'nt see it, but someone told me about it, is that the one where he blew up the engine and could not complete.

and then found a book in an Italian bookshop which listed his Maserati in the original race and that it had blown up on the same day in that race previously.  ??)

Archived