Recommended tyres

Matt Neale

The 'Camac' one is out of stock at the moment, according to the website, Danny - that one is £91.20 a corner.........There is a lovely looking Firestone 'whitewall' at £195.60 each, however....Given the small, niche market, they're priced very reasonably, I would say.....

If you want quality modern tyres, that come well recommended, and look sort-of similar to in period tyres, then Falken Sincera S832 are worth thinking about.  I've just put a set of 165/80 on my Spitfire (5.5"J wheels) are they are very good. The 80s will give you about a 5% increase in road speed per revs, so your speedo will under-read. If you are concerned about that then 70s might be better for you.

Via Black Circles or My Tyres, they were just over £200 for all four, fitted and balanced.

Quoted from Scimher-

That's interesting, Clive - didn't know that.......Previously my car was running 5" Dolomite/Spitfire? rims.. (now for sale - see 'parts for sale')..with 175/70 tyres so the speedo. was inaccurate then. Now, there is no working speedo. as yet as a bespoke cable has to be obtained from 'Speedograph' as my car is now sporting a single-rail gearbox.....

Would love to find a cheap set of crossplies in 5.20 size - should imagine any are now fossilised or horrendously expensive re-manufactured items... 

175 70 13 same diameter as 155 80 13, so should have been accurate.

Re cable, a STD cable should fit? Do you have a threaded part on the gearbox to screw a cable on? There is a nylon adaptor for one of the boxes that can be used...nkc0043 (I have used on on my type 9 box so I could use an angle drive. Had to file it down for the ford box, but certain it is ok on triumph boxes)

Thanks for that, Clive - the gearbox is 1500 Spitfire (I think!).....I presume the speedo. is original 1200 Herald (late '64).....There was a message posted to say that someone had a 'mix & match' one - but it was for a Dolomite (from what I remember)

But because some of us aren't, we're not pressurised into supporting advertisers regardless of their prices, and can shop around.

(no offence or implication intended to Longstone, but some other suppliers do tend to work on the principle of a captive audience...)

Quoted from nang-

Are you allowed to run GPS speedo's in the UK ?

Tony.

I have one as well as the magneto/mechanical one. Someone on here suggested it as a solution to the one I had being way off.

I did ask at the first MOT if the partial reflector stuck on the windscreen would be a problem, but he said it was fine if he could see through it.

I replaced the mech one and that reads near enough - a few miles over at nearly all speeds - but I kept the GPS one anyway.

Graham