Panel Thickness?

Chambers

Please please check out the welding forum.

I have been welding classic cars for many years, its not so much the new metal you need to worry about, its what your welding the new wing etc to.

Try and buy a welder with a lower amp if possible, try and find out the steps in the voltage.
on my welder, I have a verable voltage, I can set it at what ever amp I want with in its range.

some times you may find the lower setting to low, but the next setting to high.

One of the most inportant parts of a welder is the feed motor.

could go on for hours LOL
http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/index.php

Thanks for the speedy replies guys.  Ive been looking alot on the MIG Welding Forum.  The other reason I ask is so I know what thickness sheet I would need to buy/use. Obviously I would like it to be as close to the standard as possible

Hi,

Usually around 0.6mm.

I have been welding for more years than I can remember, i used to have a clarke 130t when I first started, was ok, but I found it not up to the job in the end, I traded that for a 140, that was ok, (can't remember the make) but I had to take it for repairs quite alot, the guy who repaired it said, hobby welders come with cheap triggers/torch, the best mod was to upgrade it to a euro torch. WOW what a difference that Made, completely different welder.
I now have a mig 150, no problems going low for thin stuff and also good for heavyier stuff.

Don't use gas less wire, don't use the cheap gas bottles that come with hobby welders, fork out and get argon gas bottle, trust me it's worth it.

But as said above there is a welding discussion elsewhere.

Anyone can be tought to weld with a mig, it's the preparation that takes the skill!
You can't weld rust!  :)

Cheers
Shaun

Shaun, what make of mig do you use now, I also use the welders forum and find the info very handy.
I have replaced my old plastic cable liner with a steel one and this has really improved my welding, I agree, trying to weld rust is a royal pain.
Chambers, are you going to make your own panel repairs? if you buy repair panels, they should be the correct thickness that you need to use :)

I've used Gasless for many years and it has worked extremely well. It depends how often you intend to weld. For the DiY restorer who is working on a car over a period of time I have found it fantastic. It is all in the preparation and the gasless wire will not tolerate  rust or substandard metal.

Good luck

I wouldn`t use anything less than 1mm for repairs, The clarke 135te is a good little machine i`ve had mine for about 10years and still going strong and its repaired more cars than i care to remember, I also have a big pro welder but tend to use the clarke more for car repairs.

cheers andy

I have been welding with MIG for years, using a danish made migatronic 180A /380 Volt with co2/argon mix. Wouldn't recommend one without gas.
I use 0,9mm when in need to reshape round curves, otherwise 1mm for outer panels on spitfire, depending where though!

Firebobby,

Just went out to garage to look at make and model, I was wrong, mine is a 180 mig, it was my last one that was a 150.

This model is a "cemont maxistar 180" and like I say it's excellent, never had any problem with it, it will go low for the thin stuff and high for the thick pieces.

One piece of advice to all, "practice,practice,practice" before you weld on the good parts

Cheers
Shaun

Archived