The "Panel Gaps" Thread

JonJenks

Hello
JensH makes a very good point here. One that I (and no doubt many others) also encountered. This problem also has a big part to play the gap under the door/sill. The curvature of the sill pressings themselves can vary a lot making this problem worse when you try to meet the panels together. Ie if the curvature is not enough upto a 1 inch gap can be present between outer sill flange and floor flange. Any attempts to clamp these 2 panels together here serves only to open the gap under the door quite dramatically. I had to work the sills to put in more curvature on the last 40mm of the sill before flange.
Several 'door on, re-align, - door off' attemps to get the positioning right (best uniform gap) on the outer sills for final weld... But managed to get there in the end
The joys of British car manufacturing...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Note where the sill curves around the vertical door face

The gaps around the back, and bottom of the door are good, but the radius at the front just doesn't match

I've noticed this is a panel defect rather than poor restoration - as this car in particular is anything but a poor restoration!

Seen far worse! So nice car. What kind of outer sills was used - and was the lower a-post, inner sill etc. replaced too?

Could be the complete bulkhead has moved forward, or just the outer sill sitting a little to much forward. Door gab at the rear looks small, you could move complete door a few mm forward? Was door skin replaced?

My experience is that Steel craft pattern sills tends to be a bit longer than the original ones, but only had one or two in my hands though.

I have a few BL/Stanpart original outer panels for the early spitfire, I always use to check new panels after.

Hello
I have experienced problems with the front gap mentioned above. Also if the gap here is the same all round as we would see on modern cars there is a risk here that the door will catch the sill where the line in the door skin gets very close to the top edge of the sill upon opening so perhaps this could be the reason for the slightly larger gap in this area on some of our beloved cars.
My own tub had an older bullkead repair that brought the sill forward and out of position. Think I could live with the gap on that car above though  8)
cheers

2597 wrote:
there is a risk here that the door will catch the sill where the line in the door skin gets very close to the top edge of the sill upon opening so perhaps this could be the reason for the slightly larger gap in this area on some of our beloved cars.

This I have seen; not sure if it's a genuine reason for the gap but I've chipped doors before now on the edge of the sill. My own are as tight as I could get them during the restoration; however last year the MOT man opened the bonnet during the test and chipped the front edge of the door skin against the front wing. Pull the wing out as you lift it up; not straight up!

• 3 weeks later...

I have a similar issue with my car and I spent days getting the gap even I know that my bulkhead did not move during rebuild the front wing gap to front edge door can be effected by the bonnet aswell.

The gap was never perfect on cars when they left the CanleyWorks so that made me deside to live with what I had ;D

I'm very close to welding the new wings to my bonnet and will be playing around with these gaps shortly

At the moment the lip on the bonnet which butts up against the lip on the wing is a little 'wobbly'

What is the best way to straighten this out prior to welding?

And - what's the preferred method for welding the front wings on? - do i need to drill/punch a hole in one of the lips or what?
Thanks

I'm close to the stage where I can start lining things up properly now

I've just gone to fit the radio centre console and have hit a problem

The guy that welded the floors in didn't keep the console in place and now the floors are too close together

The door gaps, wings, and bulkhead all look halfway decent given where I am at present

The body to chassis mounting bolts fit in place, except for the ones in the box sections infront of the front seats

I'm wondering whether the body may have been rested on it's side and allowed to sag whilst the floors were being replaced

I was thinking might be able to pull the body outwards to line it back up, but I'm not sure if that would then pull thebulkhead out of shape

Hmmmmm

New floor pans?
Don't expect the holes for the centre console to line op.

New floor pans are good reproductions, but not that good!

Post some pictures!

(EDIT - you did!)

Important measure is from sill top to sill top (where inner/middle/outer sill is joined) just where the door opening starts curving up at front.
Should be aprox 120 cm (free from memory)

Cars built back in the 60's-80's were built on non-robotic production lines, so there was a margin of "human error". Panel gaps will be variable as a consequence, and pattern panels will not exactly help, but with a little fettling it should be perfectly possible to get a decent fit. For what it's worth the famously expensive Ferrari 250 GTO has one door 10mm longer than the other and no 2 cars are the same!

Just trying to think what's going to be the best way to sort the radio console out

I'm going to measure the distance between it's bolt holes and the chassis holes to make sure they line up

The bit I'm having trouble with is the fact that the bolt holes for the console are wider apart than the ridges are on the floor......the console slightly overhangs the tunnel, if that makes sense

I'm thinking, if I weld up the current holes and redrill new ones, how will I know where to drill them?