Nick Jones

Scored a pair of Mk2 front wings today  :o.  Have known about them for some years, partially attached to a car in a scrapyard that had previously been the yard owners "private stock" for banger racing.  He's finally accepted that'll never happen it seems.

They were obviously new when fitted, but have suffered somewhat from hamfisted fitting, being sat around on the yard for years and then a fairly violent removal process today (me with cold chisel - flippin' hard work one up on a stack!).

However, have never been attached around the wheel arch area so are mint there and are generally very saveable I'd say.

Rest of the car is well picked over and very ropey - probably PI once as seems to have twin fuel lines.  Not alot left mechanically.

Going to tidy them up a bit now.......

Wasn't what I had planned for the day, but wasn't going pass the opportunity up  :)

Nick

Richard_B wrote:
Result!

One went at Stoneleigh for £300.

:o :o £ 300...... one.....!  Good lord......

Just been tidying flanges and that.  NS is very good.  Has some minor dents but nothing too scary.  Some minor surface rust but nothing serious. OS one has a bigger dent collection, but again nothing major.  Has some rot in the lower part of the flange where it joins to the valance due to having had wet leaves in there and a small hole adjacent to the flange.  Fairly easy repair.

Both wings have lost the spot welded piece where they join to the edge of the engine bay due to previous installer butchery.  Looks fairly easy to make.

So yes, a result.  My car doesn't actually need wings at this point although the NS one has had a rather average repair to the arch which may not last well once it sees water......

Nick

Don't think the one at Stoneleigh sold I offered £250 for it at the end of the day and the seller said he had turned down an offer of £280 ... I thought it was cheap but I'd already got a Nos offside one if it'd been a nearside I'd have bought it immeadiately !

I'll check at Earlpart later this week but I don't think there's any repair panels at the moment either .
Anybody that comes across any front end panels Etc for the Mk2's should seriously think about buying them if they run one .... There getting very scarce .

Well if Earlpart don't get production running soon, someone else will step in.

Supply and demand. When the stock gets so scarce the prices climb and it will pay for someone to start.

Or are Earlpart just waiting for the prices to climb before its worth their while? How long has it been now?  :-/

Have TD Fitchett got any of the tooling? :-/

MKII front wings (arches, repair sections, full wings etc) The original tooling was lost years ago. Earlpart had the tool remade and supplied repro front wings, half wings and arch repair sections.

The press shop that ran the tool for him, either shut down, or wanted too much money for set up, or wanted too high a minimum order or something like that.

Neil (owner of Earlpart) now has the tool back, and he has bought a flippin' huuuuuuuge press to do the pressings himself. He started to build a pressings shed, but ran out of money or the bank, due to the credit crunch, pulled the funding.

Every thing is ready once the press house is built, but I think it will be a while.

Have a look at this thread on the 2000 Register forum, Mike Weaver (him of 4x4 estate fame) is thinking about seeing what can be done, but we need some info and some ideas of numbers before this can be considered a goer.

http://www.triumph2000register.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2585

1700 wrote:
it must be time to encourage the owners of the press to run another batch by now? Time for another poll. Who needs front wings for a MK2 saloon?  

Just need some repair sections - no need in my case for a complete wing.  Why did I practically give some away a couple of years ago ........ :-/

Ted

My view is that it's ok to replace bolt-on front wings with fibreglass, but not ok to replace weld-on ones that way.  Especially where the wings are also joined to an inner wing bowl as here.

Are yours shot then Carl?  Gearbox back in yet?

Nick

Hello My Lord,

I have to disagree, there will be a significant loss of structural strength if fitting a fibreglass wing. The inner and outer together form a big box section, and is tied also to the A post and front cross panels, inner engine bay etc. Lack of rigid attachment to all these areas weakens the front of the car.

Alec

piman wrote:
Hello My Lord,

I have to disagree, there will be a significant loss of structural strength if fitting a fibreglass wing. Alec

Not if you do a proper job of bracing and boxing in the inner wing area to replicate the strength provided by the original outer wing.  

You'd also need to ensure that the new box sections had adequate drainage and access for rust prevention before before bolting on the glassfibre wing.

Hello My Lord,

"Not if you do a proper job of bracing and boxing in the inner wing area to replicate the strength provided by the original outer wing. "

You mean build a full steel box inside the space required by the fibreglass wing?

Alec

My front wings and gutter channes are not the best, but salvageable, given the crazy prices of new ones that are not avaialbleanyway.. i have used a bucket of fibreglass and mesh to rebuild the bottom corners and wheel arch lips for now but this will probably not last for ever. I wanted to apint the car over the summer so would prefer to cut out the rust and do a 'proper job' as they say in this neck of the woods.....

Just wish they would press some new wings.

Archived