Michelin 'Energy' Tyres

Keith

With the stupid price price of petrol these days I'm wondering if these may be worth the extra money.
They seem to be twice the price of cheapie tyres but claim give better mpg because of lower rolling resistance.
Is there any truth to this or is it just marketing hype?
Anyone got any experiences?

Keith

They are pretty good tyres, had them as OE fitment on some new VWs, they last forever, 50,000 miles on the front of my Golf, still fine at 75k on the rear.

Not too good for grip in the wet though and when I replaced them with other brands of tyre, fuel economy didn't change one bit.

They leave nice, thick black lines when you do wheelspins too.  :)

Same on the Passats, they came new with Continental EcoContacts.  When I replaced them with normal tyres I didn't see any change in economy.

piman wrote:
Hello My Lord,

"50,000 miles on the front of my Golf"  Statement one

"They leave nice, thick black lines when you do wheelspins too."   Statement two.

How do you reconcile those two statement?

Alec

Because that is the only way to even start to wear them out.

Much loved by fleet departments, much loathed by drivers....  ;)

If you want to improve your mpg, pump your tyres up a bit.  Don't go mad, overdoing it will seriously reduce grip and wear out the centre of the tyre but going up from the "unladen" to "partly laden" pressures makes 3 - 4 mpg difference on my Audi.  Going to the "fully laden" pressures helps even more but makes the handling scary unless actually carrying the extra weight.  I've commented on Michelin tyres in the wet before.  Don't like 'em.

Nick

Archived