Horn 'Pencil/brush'

Scimher

Hoping to have renewed MOT today...horn not working! Got very nice horn 'push' off E-Bay & a new 'pencil/brush'...same source (brand new) when fitted, the end of the metal contact parted company with the rest of the pencil...the current was checked & it was pulling over 10amps!!! Is this normal? Also surely the thing should'nt have broken although the wire does look to be no thicker than filament wire!!! UPSHOT: STILL NO MOT!!!!

Think that may be the problem Tony.....it's a 1200 Herald convertible that was reg. beginning of Feb. '65...so don't think there is any relay!! Needs one presumably??
What was the 'timeframe' between being built & reg. on average, chaps (& 'chapesses'!)...as don't know whether it is a late '64 car or an extremely early '65????
Many thanks!
Geoff.

My 1200 built 14 AUG 65, delivered to dealer 17 AUG and registered/collected on Sept 1st.  Not all were that swift.  By 1965 the Herald was getting a little old hat.  Many customers were considering cars like the BMC 1100 range therefore it wasn't uncommon for Heralds to sit around unsold for several months.  Ours was unusual in the fact that it had to be ordered and took around 8 weeks to be delivered for placing the order at the dealers.

M.

Mark,

Quote:
Old hat

Why did S_T never let the public know about the additional power!

I guess you are in the 188,*** or 189,*** range.  Could you please PM me your Comm and engine so that I can improve my dating info.  It's a bit wooly around these dates.

BTW, too great an amperage through the pencil will melt the solder holding the bottom brush in.

Con

Thanks Con & Mark.
My chassis no. is GA164261CV ...so that firmly places it as having been built in '64...(can it be narrowed down from the no?)...It was reg. 4/2/65.
Yep...that's what's happened..will have to get, yet another 'pencil' & get a relay fitted!
(She's running a 1300 Dolomite engine with a single 35amp fuse)
Many, many thanks, guys.
Geoff.

Con, from memory the Commission Number starts GA1895 something.  We're in the New Forest at the mo and not in the Herald but I'll email it to you tomorrow.  The car has a GD prefixed engine be quite good to date that.  I'd love to try and locate the old block but I guess there'll be no chance as the original engine was scrapped around 1981.

Mark

Thanks Bill.
The car has had a new alternator....but when the current was checked the engine was switched off...if that makes a difference!
As mentioned there's a single 35amp fuse, responsible for everything, but the relay would be there to prevent the horn 'pencil' from losing it's end...which happened yesterday. Another 'pencil' will be winging it's way to me on Monday...don't want anything to go wrong with this one....at least, not until the MOT has been issued!!!
Geoff.

Thanks very much Con.....this is all fascinating. I did the usual and got what history the DVLA had, sent to me.
With regard to wheels...she's still running the Spitfire wheels, that were on her when I got her.
(Have bought a set of Herald wheels & hub caps....will fit them when the tyres that are on, are worn out...she's used virtually daily, all year round!)
I am right in assuming that chrome 'rimbellishers' were not fitted at that time?
Geoff.

Billi is right on this one - the relay will do nothing if the horn circuit is drawing 10amps, it will do the same with a relay. If you really want to protect the pencil then fit a fuse - but fix the fault too! Heralds never had relays or fuses and don't technically need them if wired correctly

There are 2 smallish horns fitted....sure I saw some the same/similar on e-bay for a Herald....is it a standard fitment for Heralds of that age?? Is it just best to disconnect one of them?? How would I reduce the amount of current to the horn ring??
Questions, questions eh....sorry (you're all being incredibly helpful.
Geoff.
PS...I know I'm thick but what's 'OP', Bill???

Quote:
I am right in assuming that chrome 'rimbellishers' were not fitted at that time?

I don't know.  P/N 501655 was an accessory/option and I don't know when it became available.  Of course the Vitesse and 13/60 had wheel trims anyway.

C.

Archived