Plagued by electrical problems

Tom2000

So my indicators have stopped working again, I've checked all the fuses and they are still intact. I have no warning light, no indicator and no fog lights, what I have found is that I had a loose connection on the rear RHS indicator, it had been knocked off by something in the boot. So i've sorted the connection so it's no longer loose and put the covers to protect the connections back on, hasn't solved the issue.

One of the other strange things is that the top fuse in the fuse box recently blew and when I replaced it, I reconnected the battery and started the car to find that whilst watching it the fuse went spotted rust colour inside.. but is still intact? I've also found that my instruments on the dash were going dead but found if I applied pressure to the fuse ends (presumably making better contact) they spring back to life and since have not encountered further problems with this.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I wonder if fitting a new fuse box (mini?? ) and replacing the "fuse holding bent bits of wire" with spade connectors may be an option?
In fact the car I have in bits has been previously modified in this way, but has not been well done (I will look at it properly when the time comes)

Simpler fix than a new loom!

The bulbholders can give problems. Having had some grief recently I swapped a couple with spares I had, but I suspect a blob of solder may be a better  long term solution the join the offending bits, they just seem clamped together. Somebody will have had more experience though!

Its the perennial fuse box problem......
I solved mine by really thoroughly cleaning the contact spades in the fuse box with brasso on a cotton bud, then using some 'electrical contact jelly' from eBay to protect them.

A long term solution may be to fit a more modern blade fuse box? they can be bought very cheaply, plus while you're there you could relocate it inside the car? I had problems with my original fuse box even before the car was on the road, so I swapped it for a blade box and split some of the wiring so I could fuse individual circuits, had no problems since (probably will now I've said this ;D )

3472 wrote:

What is this problem?
I am havin some issues with my electrics also (right frontr indicator does not blink right rear does not light up)

Have you looked at the flasher relay? think they're mechanical originally so there is a chance of failure?

Tom, clean the fuse contacts, and try and make the blade, that holds onto the fuse tighter,
I did this by pushing some ..Stuff.. above it,so it pushed the fuse doon harder,and also covered the contacts with contact paste. keeps moisture out,stops arcing.

secondly, have you got the right fuses,!!!! they are 17 amp  continuous, 34 amp blow,

some  aftermarket cheapies  only give one rating, so the un enlightened put the wrong fuse in. and have just got 17 amp on em so will blow at 8 - 9 amps

Thanks for the responses guys, my issues seem to be these fuses. I just went out and bought 35 amp fuses, didn't check the continuous ability. Cleaning and tightening the fuse hold will help i think.

Update soon. (once i finish my degree in 2 days)

Engine should have a hefty earth strap going to the chassis. Rear earth for indicators is always a problem: ignition on, indicator stalk in 'on' position and then play around with the black earth wire(s). Mine was always playing up until Scrapman gave me some bulbholders with their own earth spade terminal fitted, now they're fine.

There waqs originally an earth strap from the steering rack mounts to the engine front plate (or that area, always forgot about it until it was engine out time)

They are a bit of a faff. I run an earth lead direct from the battery or the point where the battery earths on the bodyshell to an engine stud. On soitfires I usually use a engine-gearbox stud, the toledo has one to the engine front plate near the alternator.
Poor engine earth can cause all sorts of odd behaviour, but I doubt indicator problems.

Archived