Herald battery options

Bitumen Boy

After a good few years my battery is getting tired and it's time to think of replacement. What modern battery should I go for? Been using 038's quite happily for as long as I've had the car but that's not a common size any more and the last time it was changed (~5 years ago) I couldn't get a very good price locally and had to wait for one to be ordered in. I know people have got better deals on larger more common batteries but can't remember what, somehow I've got 063 in my head as one that fits but can't find anything about it now to confirm that. Any thoughts / experiences welcome as usual... 🙂

I don't know what size it is but I fitted one from my Skoda Roomster it is quite a bit bigger and more powerful. The battery had to be turned round so it is important to check leads are long enough, mine were. As for the battery J bolts I just added an "S" hook to each and they were long enough.
some batteries are available either "left handed" or "right handed" in terms of the +ve & -ve terminals, but don't bother paying extra if your cables will be long enough.

An 063 will be fine, available anywhere off the shelf for £30-£35 (except Halfords who charge a king's ransom for them) I have one in my Vitesse, and it has no problem cranking that over in the winter do it'll be fine on a Herald. The terminals are the wrong way round but it's easy enough to sort.

Another vote for 063.  075 is bigger (and more expensive) but will also fit.

You can be rude about Halfords prices but we've just retired one of their 063 "3 year" batteries which is date stamped June 04!  It still works fine for daily or even weekly use.  Just can't handle 3+ weeks.

With a trade card it's replacement was only £ 42. Identical but 14 years younger......  Don't think I've had a battery beat 10 years before this one.

Nick

Thanks for the replies, gents - looks like I'll be ringing round for prices for an 063. Longer leads already fitted a few years ago to fit 038's with the terminals to the rear as the standard setup looked a bit too close to the clamping bar for comfort, even have some longer j bolts that wouldn't fit before as an 038 is too small for them