Alex

I've spent tonight replacing the front loom on my 1500....however an issue has come to light(sure they'll be more ;D)
My car is a late car with dual circuit brakes with the light thingy.....the loom I'm fitting doesnt have the plug on it for this.
Anyone know how I get around this?

Will there likely be any other obvious differences?

oh and just as a quick query.....I've got a bolt on my bulkhead between the washer bottle and the heater valve.....what should be attached via this?

Thanks
Alex

Do you still have the old wiring loom? The solution may be to unwrap it, remove the relevant brace wiring and add it to your new loom.

Triumph altered the wiring looms of later GT6s and Spitfires (and other models as well I'm sure) to add safety features such as brake warning lights and seatbelt lights. Different specs for different markets don't help either. The result is that there are a lot of variations on the standard wiring looms.

I just looked at doing that Nick but my wiring is such a hacked mess nothing corresponds to the relevant codes.....

I believe its a purple and black wire that goes to the light and theres a green one too at the light end but I cant workout where that goes?

I'm actually struggling to get the actual lights to work now at all only rears are fitted but even the gauge lights dont illuminate.
Not even got brake lights.....
Anyone got any ideas?

Hi Alex,

I have a late Spitfire 1500 with the brake light.

I use this diagram as it seems to be correct for my model

http://www.triumphspitfire.com/images/wiring/78diagram.jpg

According to this diagram (I think the Brake light thingy is labelled PDWA) one wire should be black and purple the other should be white.
White is providing +ve feed (power). The black and purple provide the earth either through the ignition (when switched on but engine not running, so you know the light works); Hand brake being on or through the brake fluid sensor thingy. (Don't you just love technical talk!)

I hope this makes sense.

I will have a look at my spit tonight to check for you.

Dear Paul,

Would the 'Federal' wiring diagram version differ from the UK/European models?

Actually I could well be wrong..I'm not finding anything relating to the American version on that... :-/

My wiring is imcomplete anyway - I don't have the maplight wiring, I don't have the handbrake warning light wiring or the radio supply wiring I don't think. Although I have a bunch of stray cables I haven't been able to identify yet, so could be one of the above!

Kind regards,

David

Mines a 1980 car and thats how many wiring modifications have been made over the last 30yrs!
Honestly you'd never beieve how many times my looms been reconnected ....both side of the fuse box have been cut!

Still struggling here need to go back out and stop hiding on here ;D

Alex wrote:
oh and just as a quick query.....I've got a bolt on my bulkhead between the washer bottle and the heater valve.....what should be attached via this?

Isn't this the bolt that the PDWA attaches to?
It's a long time since I've owned a dual circuit 1500, but I seem to remember the PDWA being mounted in the middle section of the bulkhead, more or less in front of the heater.

Spitfire1500 wrote:
Dear Paul,

Would the 'Federal' wiring diagram version differ from the UK/European models?

Not sure, but I know that that wiring diagram matches the wiring to my 1980 UK Spit.

Spitfire1500 wrote:
My wiring is imcomplete anyway - I don't have the maplight wiring, I don't have the handbrake warning light wiring or the radio supply wiring I don't think. Although I have a bunch of stray cables I haven't been able to identify yet, so could be one of the above!

Kind regards,

David

The map light was an optional extra and Not all Spit 1500s had the handbrake warning light. I think it was only on later models, which might be why it's missing on your loom.

You'd think I'd know by now that if the backlights dont work check the earths! Due to all the new paint etc there appears to be very few places to get an earth. I'll take another look tonight. Otherwise it all appears ok. Still not running bit Ineed to look at that with point etc in hand.

The linked wiring diagram (http://www.triumphspitfire.com/images/wiring/78diagram.jpg ) does not match my UK spit - do you have heater resistor, panel dimmer, seatbelt timer/buzzer?  It only has one relay for hazards / flashers too, I think.
However, it is a lovely coloured diagram!  I am sure my Haynes has pages of different wiring diagrams - and I bet most of those will be wrong.

Sorry that doesn't help at all, but don't trust wiring diagrams too much.

Paul.

Alex wrote:
The only things I've not had working yet is the wipers and indicators/hazards......

Beware the way the wiper switch is shown on those online diagrams. The switch as drawn is viewed from the back, the numbers are reversed compared to what is moulded into the switch,

Cheers,
Bill.

Right....Ive refitted points etc for now however I'm not getting a spark......
Could someoone please look at their wiring and tell me what colours go to where from the loom to solenoid and to coil..please!
I remember why I dont like electrical faults......I'm sure its going to just be one wire or something in the wrong place but I'm struggling to see which :-(

Well it looks like it wasnt might fault afterall....
Mark Bland came round tonight and had a look and found the problem almost staight away.
The points were earthing off the base plate....it would appear they dont fit properly,question is is it the points wrong or the distributor.The distributor was replaced a few years ago with a new one from fitchets but I know little else about it model wise.....I'll have a look in a bit.

Anyway we managed to get it sparking by lifting the points arm up a touch,not ideal but with a bit of fresh juice and a turn of the key it started with little problem once the fuel was through.Loud with no silencers though ;D
Big thanks to Mark!

Archived