spitfire seat belt warning (wiring)

molten

evening all

Do uk spec cars use the seat sensors? If not how does the dash warning light come on (or is it not meant to).

Just wondering if the two connectors under carpet are supposed to be used and does the handbrake one supposed to be connected?

If someone could clear this up for me?

Many Thanks
scott

Hi Scott,

Based upon taking out two seats and stripping the interior, I found the following:

1). There is a pressure switch in the passenger seat with the two pin wire coming from it.
2). There is a further two-pin wire which goes to the main wiring loom (I suppose to the fasten seatbelts light) which also has an additional connector
3). This additional connector goes to the seatbelt stalk.

That's as much as I know - I haven't wired things up yet to see if the 'Fasten seatbelts light' work.

Interestingly enough, the drivers seat doesn't have the pressure switch on it, but the seatbelt stalk does.

I hope this helps,

Kind regards,

David

It just presumes there is a driver in the seat if the car's being used - it doesn't need a switch to tell it! My car had pressure switches on both sides but the drivers wasn't connected to anything. Maybe its a previous owner messing about or maybe Triumph did it like that to make production of LHD and RHD cars easier?

Cheers Gents

My car was a basket case when I got it. The seats were shot and no sensor pad in either (but think seller may well have bean breaking before I took it off him - so may have sold the seat sensors) and as I am ready to start work on new seat foams etc, I wondered if the seat sensor should be present on uk cars.

When I raised the original carpet, this is what lay underneath (see pic)

There is another (same type) connector just out of shot to the right.
As these were never connected to anything I assumed 1 each goes to seat belt clasp and the other one was (to handbrake on US cars) or redundant on UK cars.
Other than these I have no free connectors for seat sensors so again assume these were for US market only? Am I correct in my assumpsions or am I wrong again?

Cheers
Scott

Thanks gents
But.....
I just looked at the seat belt clasps and there is nothing to connect them to. They are the early type.
Any of you fellas have a photo ore something you could post?

I looked on canleys and it looks like the connectors are same as seat sensors so any chance that is what they are for?

Thanks

willcolumbine wrote:
I agree - those look like the seatbelt stalk connectors!

Hello Will

If these are indeed seat belt stalk connectors, then where would the seat sensor connect to?
The seat belt binnacles I have are same as MK4 and no connectors >:( driving me mad this >:(

Cheers
Scott

Hi Richard
Thanks for posting. So..
The tree connection block under the carpet (see pic above) are:

1 for passenger seat sensor.
Are the other 2 for the seat belt binnacles? If they are then the mk 4 binnacles I have have no wires coming from them to connect to the other 2 connectors (1 on passenger side and 1 on drivers side)
What then does the correct binnacle tool like?

My car was a basket case when I got it and most interior was stripped out. Thats why I am struggling to understand what goes where.
Thanks again

2597 wrote:
Cheers Gents

There is another (same type) connector just out of shot to the right.
As these were never connected to anything I assumed 1 each goes to seat belt clasp and the other one was (to handbrake on US cars) or redundant on UK cars.
Other than these I have no free connectors for seat sensors so again assume these were for US market only? Am I correct in my assumpsions or am I wrong again?

Almost....
The two connectors shown in your picture do indeed go to the seatbelt stalks.
The connector out of shot to the right goes to the pressure sensor in the passenger seat.
There was never a pressure sensor in the driver's seat.

cheers
bodders1

2597 wrote:

1 for passenger seat sensor.
Are the other 2 for the seat belt binnacles? If they are then the mk 4 binnacles I have have no wires coming from them to connect to the other 2 connectors (1 on passenger side and 1 on drivers side)
What then does the correct binnacle tool like?

It is quite possible that your car had replacement seatbelts fitted at some time.  There was a long period in the late '80s and '90s when the correct model seatbelt incorporating the sensor in the stalk was not available.  If your car failed the MOT on excessive wear to the seatbelts the only option was to replace belt, and stalk, with a non-switched alternative.  

as it turns out i have mk4 seat belt binnacles so no wires to connect to. So if any of you guys have a set of 1500 binnacles with wires please PM me.
If anyone knows if they were used in any other triumph please post.

Sensor for passenger seat sorted though.

bodders1 wrote:

It is quite possible that your car had replacement seatbelts fitted at some time.  There was a long period in the late '80s and '90s when the correct model seatbelt incorporating the sensor in the stalk was not available.  If your car failed the MOT on excessive wear to the seatbelts the only option was to replace belt, and stalk, with a non-switched alternative.  

The way you say that makes me assume new replacements have them, is that correct?

2597 wrote:
as it turns out i have mk4 seat belt binnacles so no wires to connect to. So if any of you guys have a set of 1500 binnacles with wires please PM me.
If anyone knows if they were used in any other triumph please post.

Are they the black ones with the red buttons?  They seem to show up now & then on US ebay, with wires a-dangling.

1381 wrote:

The way you say that makes me assume new replacements have them, is that correct?

Hi Bainzy.
I'm not sure whether it is possible to get replacement stalks with the switches inside or not.  The problem a few years ago was that the replacement belts being offered by the Triumph retailers had different shaped buckles on them, so you couldn't just replace the belt, you had to replace the belt + stalk as a set.  
It is now possible to get your old seatbelts fitted with new webbing, (see: http://quickfitsbs.com) which enables you to retain the original stalks.

David, my US-spec GT6 had / has a seatbelt warning light too. It took ages to find some original belts and receptacles on eBay. The floor-mounted latches are small and have no stalk, so they sit right down on the floor. They have white buttons.

I'm not sure if Spitfire 1500s had the same setup, as Triumph changed belt designs between models, years and markets frequently.

Nick_Moore wrote:
David, my US-spec GT6 had / has a seatbelt warning light too. It took ages to find some original belts and receptacles on eBay. The floor-mounted latches are small and have no stalk, so they sit right down on the floor. They have white buttons.

I'm not sure if Spitfire 1500s had the same setup, as Triumph changed belt designs between models, years and markets frequently.

Thats the type i have - the floor mounted ones but they do not have any connections for looms.
Do any other british car (triumph or otherwise) use the wired binnacles?

Sorted on seat sensor thanks to Dave at Spitfire graveyard
Cheers

Archived