Ignition light flashing when car is running

sx2500831

The car before the rebuild didn't have the flashing light. It only flashes when it's running. If the key is in the on position it doesn't blink. The car runs very good  and the fan belt is new and really tight. I will check the alternator with a voltage tester and see if that's the problem. Thanks for the information.

michael_charlton wrote:
The alternator sounds as though it is at fault as the smaller wire coming off the alternator goes straight to the warning light and no where else except earth
It would not light if it was not earthed,so sounds as though earthing OK

This is definitely a knackered alternator, or a broken wire betweent he ignition light and the alternator itself.

One minor clarification to Mr Rosso's comment - the ignition light doesn't have an earth connection as such.  One side of it is connected to the ignition switch, then other to the alternator.  When the alternator isn't turning, it is "earthed" through the field coil in the alternator itself.  Once the alternator is turning, the back-emf generated in the alternator causes the voltage on the "earth" side of the ignition light to rise to the same voltage as the feed side, so the light goes out.

Never run a Lucas alternator for any length of time without the ignition light connected - it relies on the current through the ignion light to get the charging process started.  If it is not connected, the vltage regulator circuit can burn-out.  I killed an alternator this way.

bodders1 wrote:

This is definitely a knackered alternator, or a broken wire betweent he ignition light and the alternator itself.

One minor clarification to Mr Rosso's comment - the ignition light doesn't have an earth connection as such.  One side of it is connected to the ignition switch, then other to the alternator.  When the alternator isn't turning, it is "earthed" through the field coil in the alternator itself.  Once the alternator is turning, the back-emf generated in the alternator causes the voltage on the "earth" side of the ignition light to rise to the same voltage as the feed side, so the light goes out.

Never run a Lucas alternator for any length of time without the ignition light connected - it relies on the current through the ignion light to get the charging process started.  If it is not connected, the vltage regulator circuit can burn-out.  I killed an alternator this way.

Correct on all points
Sorry dont know what I was thinking about..............especially when I wrote an article about the flipping thing
Its this Foreign Legion bug thing Ive got ,I think :B

What kind of electronic ignition is it?

I installed the Pertronix thing that just replaces the points, & had no side effects with the ignition light.

Edit:
If he rebuilt the engine, is it possible that some kind of mix of the original 6V coil wiring system with a 12V coil without wiring modification could cause this?  Or a 6V coil installed when the wiring had been modified previously for a 12V coil?  Did you change the coil?

Bill,
Although it is called an ignition light it actually functions as a charge warning light. The only way it relates to the ignition is that it lights up when the power to the coil is turned on and the charging system isn't charging the battery. In this way it warns you that your ignition coil has power to it switched on and it may overheat if left this way.
                                                                      Cheers,
                                                                      Paul