Anti-drainback oil filter?

Keith

Nick_Moore wrote:
In the meantime, you can reduce or avoid the rattle by turning the motor over without the choke, to fill the oil filter. You'll know when it's ready to go when the oil light goes out, and then give it some choke. Of course the neighbours will think your car is hard to start...

But my car is difficult to start!  ;) And even then it takes a lot of cranking to get the green light out.
I'll let you know how I get on with the Mann filter, maybe we can get Tina & Andrew to stock the adaptors in Club Shop if it proves a popular mod.

The other thread is here BTW-
http://club.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/forum10/Blah.pl?m-1373532310/s-45/

K

4058 wrote:

I used to use that in all my cars back in the day! (worked at a garage that sold it!)

But it has scientifically been proven not to work! No better than just oil!
There are better modern versions nowadays.

...It's basically 'PTFE' isn't it? Supposedly the slipperiest substance known to man! Is this another of these modern compounds that are not supposed to be as good as they once were...ie. 'Hammerite'...??
Because there was a lot of talk about 30yrs. + ago in another clubs mag. (not Triumph) & also a letter in Octane mag. The people who seemed in favour of it at at the time were highly respected professionals not Sunday tinkerers..... :-/

If you have the death rattle, maybe you already need new bearing shells. My Spit takes a few seconds to get rid of the green light even with a supposed non return valve filter but no rattles. Only had one 2500 that did this and motor was pretty worn,
Tony.

Keith wrote:

I'll let you know how I get on with the Mann filter, maybe we can get Tina & Andrew to stock the adaptors in Club Shop if it proves a popular mod.
K

You wont regret it Keith, and the Wix 24037 adapter 5/8 - 3/4  is readily available in the US but all sellers wont ship to UK??? Thanks to Goody and Clive there are a couple available..(clap)

And if you have an oil cooler sandwich plate fitted you need this 5/8 - 3/4 adapter:
http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=18321

I fitted it yesterday, the acid test will come when I try to start it after it's been sitting in the garage for a few days.
The old filter, which was Masterparts one, was empty when I took it off so didn't have any effective anti drain back.
I was sold it cheap, now I know why!

8)

K

Most oil filters cheap or expensive come with the 1 silicone or rubber membrane anti-drain seal and are ok in stop-start operation, the double anti drain filters fitted to our engines are a must seeing as they usually get used after a long sitting in a garage situation.

My little video of a startup after a long stand with the Mann filter fitted will be the same as yours Keith....no more startup rattle, guaranteed... ;)
(excuse the exhaust on the chassis rattle...now sorted :) )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFzaK6fkVxc

Please add your comments to the thread in the techy section as there is only me, Marcus and yourself who have publicly tried the Mann filters (ok)

Well it cant be just Gaz an Me  that thinks they  worth the extra loot then,!!!

also,  there a bloke in France sellin em at under 3£
much better than the  other filterswith just  1 valve

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271253052338?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648

M

Hello all,

how are the filters orientated in the Herald\Vitesse etc cars as on the big saloon it hangs down with a spin on conversion?
We had a discussion on the Register forum about the double valved filters but I don't see any gain for the saloon as the filter stays full anyway?

Alec