Mann oil filters

uksnatcher

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ian, with that set up, no wonder ye got oil lagg.
yonks ago, I had a great idea to put a remote filter in front of engine, and below oil take off.
it actually took longer for it to get oil pressure up than standard set up,

My self,  why not just bung a Mann filter upside doon onto your  adaptor.
they are pretty fine filters as weel.

M

No luck finding a supplier of the 5/8 unf filter so far but if you could convince one of these US sellers or maybe one of our US forum members could buy some and ship out, these 5/8 to 3/4 unf adapters  for use without an oil cooler you could use the easily available 3/4 unf filters  :

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Wix-24037-Engine-Oil-Filter-/76028267

Wix part no: 24037

Quoted from Spitfire6

Main reason for fitting was better filtration, longer duration before oil changes and cleaner oil.
If I can find the correct thread for an inline check valve then I can see nothing that's better than I have?
Cheers,
Iain.

Hi Iain (are you in Burnley mate? Next P&P meeting?  )

Looked at the remote filter with bypass filter built in same as yours but I thought the trickle feed long life bypass filter was a little pointless if using mineral oil as the oil has to be changed every 6 months anyway unless you are using fully or semi synthetic oil.
The cost of the synthetic oil, filter housing and filters, pipework and non return valve put me off TBH (tight arse.. ) but the extra filtering can only be a good thing and hope finding a 1 way valve is not too hard..

Gaz

Quoted from uksnatcher
No luck finding a supplier of the 5/8 unf filter so far but if you could convince one of these US sellers or maybe one of our US forum members could buy some and ship out, these 5/8 to 3/4 unf adapters  for use without an oil cooler you could use the easily available 3/4 unf filters  :

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Wix-24037-Engine-Oil-Filter-/76028267

Wix part no: 24037

I should shortly be getting a number of these arriving at y house. They came across with Bill but have stalled in transit in the UK.
I will have a few spare, and willing to pass on at cost (ie including postage etc etc etc)
Priority to club members of course.

• 2 months later...

For all the GT6 owners woe have a filter adaptor,
then If ye put in a adaptor thread to 20 MM 1.5 then you can use these filters.
as the Reliant ones getting thin ont grun noo.

they only 50 MM deep, so nee need to put a filter at an angle
which really defeats the object of putting a adaptor on int fust spot.

NOTE, if the filter is  wider than the adaptor housing, then it WILL foul on the sump
joint, so need one that is as wide as the adaptor, or slightly bigger, Follow.!!

they also fits lots of the Peogeots /Renalts / Citroens too, and also v v cheep too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUX.....;hash=item43c268eb32

or thee,s
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KIA-.....;hash=item2c7739e12f

M

Just a note to add, the large 93mm wide W 940/20 filter WILL NOT fit, just too wide it fouls the suspension turret  (angry)

I have amended the list:

Here are the pt nos for all the Mann double anti drain valve filters that fit a Spitfire or Herald 4 cyl engine with an adapter 5/8 UNF to 3/4 UNF

W 713/9 - 76mm wide / 100mm high
W 719/29 -76mm wide / 123mm high
W 724/1 - 76mm wide / 142mm high
W 830/3 - 84mm wide / 122mm high

Without adapter:
W 713/14 - 76mm wide /100mm high

Also.....
Some good deals around on the W 724/1 filter (tall one I have on at the mo) for 3 quid delivered.... 🙂
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=W+724%2F1&_sop=15

Surely one of your UK readers has a lathe and can make some 3/4 x5/8 adaptors. I made one out of a bit of stainless I had,
each side 3/4" long and from memory about a 3/8" hole in the centre.
Anyone know of a supplier that has W724/1 filters and would send at a reasonable price to NZ. Can't find any here, the French ones on Ebay won't send and another wants 27 pounds postage.
Tony.

The adapters are easily available in the USA, and not expensive. Well, I bought 10 from 2 sources and got a very helpful man to bring them over. Trouble was I ordered about 20 initially, only to find the places couldn't fulfil the orders.
I bought the 10 so I could pass most on, keeping one for myself.

Anyway, a friend who happens to work on nissen forklifts made himself a 22mm adapter so he could use decent OE filter. That may be a better size if it is a self made adaptor, bearing in mind the number of jap cars down under.

Quoted from nang

Anyone know of a supplier that has W724/1 filters and would send at a reasonable price to NZ. Can't find any here, the French ones on Ebay won't send and another wants 27 pounds postage.
Tony.

Shame the seller is so high on postage costs, I just got x2 of the W724/1 filters delivered via tracked 3 day UPS courier to my door for total price of five pounds 30p via the Mr Auto website......from France to UK????? go figure that out,  how can they possibly be making any profit on that 🤔

Send me your address via PM and I will see if I can send you some filters out to you at a proper price nang... 😉

Please see parallel thread in the Herald/Vitesse section-
Sorry , link no longer available
I'm impressed too with the Mann filter.
Currently using a W717/2 with the 3/4" thread adaptor. This was slightly cheaper than the W713/9 and the same size
It has slightly higher relief valve pressure of 1.5bar whereas the 713/9 is 0.8.
I think the original spec is around 1 bar, but not sure of that.

Cheers,

K

Quoted from uksnatcher

Shame the seller is so high on postage costs, I just got x2 of the W724/1 filters delivered via tracked 3 day UPS courier to my door for total price of five pounds 30p via the Mr Auto website......from France to UK????? go figure that out,  how can they possibly be making any profit on that 🤔

Send me your address via PM and I will see if I can send you some filters out to you at a proper price nang... 😉

Gaz,
Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on it but at the moment I've found NZ distributor on the net, they are in Australia, I've sent them an email, will publish the outcome.
Tony.

Quoted from uksnatcher

Why is he "mr auto uk" but the filters are in France???

Thanks Keith, another to add to the list, I have amended it:

Here are the pt nos for all the Mann double anti drain valve filters that fit a Spitfire or Herald 4 cyl engine with an adapter 5/8 UNF to 3/4 UNF

W 717/2 - 76mm wide / 100mm high
W 713/9 - 76mm wide / 100mm high
W 719/29 -76mm wide / 123mm high
W 724/1 - 76mm wide / 142mm high
W 830/3 - 84mm wide / 122mm high

Without adapter:
W 713/14 - 76mm wide /100mm high

Don't know Sheepy, French distributor - UK name ???  Don't really care if I can get 2 filters to my door for a fiver then magic fairy dust fuelled flying pigs can delivery it from never-never land....lol  

Quoted from uksnatcher
well done chaps and they really are good filters for what we need.

Thinking of getting some stickers made up, you know like the drifters and cruisers have on the doors........how about:

But then again.........ermmm (think) maybe not  (mad)

Something queer about that idea.  
Tony.