gearbox oil top up

Dannyb

I use a syringe to fill mine from underneath (TR6), dead cheap and easy to get hold off from fleabay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Large-Syringe-Hydroponics-100ml-Handy-Tube-/160433826114?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_HomeGarden_Garden_PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN&hash=item255a99e942

link is for a typical syringe and can also be used for the back axle as well.

Thanks guys....that's just what I was looking for. Did not think to make the hole that big but thinking about it this is the best way to go. saves all that jacking up and 2 pairs of axle stands to get the car level. I will be more inclined to check the gearbox oil more often.  

Don't cut rectangular holes in the gearbox cover.  Cracks are bound to develop from the corners. Round the corners.
Make the lid from metal sheet.
Install spire clips around the hole and closed-cell foam strip on the overlap of the lid.
Looks neat, n'est-ce pas?

The forward alloy sheet is a mod to accomodate a modern starter motor.
It's rivetted on, with sealant between cover and sheet.
John

Just checked my gearbox oil as follows.
Jack at front and back on filler plug side of car, pump up till a house brick will go under the wheels.
This gave me just enough room to access the filler/level plug.
Then with a short length of tube on the end of a pump oil can squirt some oil in the gearbox.
I use an old rubber car mat and a rag beneath the drain plug before crawling out and then remove bricks and lower the jacks.  If no oil drips on the rag then repeat procedure until oil is topped up and excess oil drips onto the catch mat, then jack up again etc and replace plug.
First injection of oil was enough, but it will depend on how much oil you box has lost.

Now I know this isn’t perfect and messy, but it woks for me and I do the same method for the diff top up as well.

Don Cook,
The oil in the gearbox will last a very long time without doing any harm to the gearbox; unlike engine oil which gets contaminated by combustion products.  So, there is little point in changing it, unless there is some reason to think it has become contaminated. There are also the issues of proper disposal of the used oil, and the waste of resources (and money) to consider. Topping up saves quite a bit of oil, and could save a gearbox from destruction.
                                                                             Cheers,
                                                                             Paul

I have now cut two round hols approx 2.5 inch diameter 3 inches apart and with an acksaw blade cut the middle out so I have an elongated hole with round ends. Over this I have fitted a metal plate 1 inch bigger all round and the foot rest is screwed to this. The plate is held with 6 self tapping screws that tap into metal spire clips.

• 1 year later...

GT6_Don wrote:
Or, leave the tunnel and remove the filler plug from underneath with a spanner (it can be reached), feed a hose into the filler hole from above with a funnel on the end and pour oil in.

Exactly like that. I have a length of garden hose that I use for it, and then just stick a funnel in the top of the hose. The higher that you lift the top of the hose/ funnel the higher the flow rate. You need two people though.

Archived