Sideways Tim

Sorry?
Are you referring to the ally casting between the block and the oil filter?  That's a sandwich plate that the oil cooler hoses attach to.  Can't tell from the pic' if it's direct or temperature controlled tho'.  The actual oil cooler looks like a small radiator.  Sorry if I've misunderstood.

Sorry, re-read you post - see what you are asking now! That looks like the type with a cold temp bypass valve installed that stops you overpressurising the oil cooler rad from start up.  Most of the thermostatic ones have a seperate 'stat.

I assumed the thermostatic control was incorporated into the take off plate (that's in the photo). The cooler does indeed just look like a small radiator. Two hoses come out of the cooler and into the take off plate. Just wondering where the thermostat is and what it looks like, if indeed I have one.

Cheers.

Any chance of a picture of how you have the pipes comming out on the underside,I have mine installed the same way up as yours and the pipes are touching the engine mount and the turret !
Yours sandwich plate looks like mine and the seller(a chap on here) said it was a thermostat one

Well, you got me thinking as yours appears to be the same as mine.  Googling oil cooler sandwich plates (how sad can you get?) it looks like the actual 'stat valve is behind the big hex' nut.  The non-thermostatic castings tend to be plain with just the two hose connections.  You learn something every day...

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&biw=1584&bih=748&tbm=isch&tbnid=EXCBWlVTUVOVKM:&imgrefurl=http://www.flat4online.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php%3FpName%3Dmocal-hi-flow-oil-cooler-sandwich-plate-with-thermostat-subaru-impreza-my01-my02-my03-my04-my05-sti&docid=oQIzV1I9Aq7DxM&imgurl=http://www.flat4online.co.uk/catalog/images/mocal-hi-flow-sandwich-plate-thermostat-bsp-adaptors-159-p.jpg&w=640&h=480&ei=8Hy7T7SuJ8600QWy19TRBw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=671&vpy=144&dur=13807&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=136&ty=217&sig=107494631454256611958&page=1&tbnh=128&tbnw=161&start=0&ndsp=32&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:0,i:80

Just fitted a Oil temp gauge which takes it's reading from the sump plug. Been for a blast up the Aroad and the oil shows hot above normal and just below red line.  I did bench test the gauge and sender before fiitting and
80C was normal mark.
I have a 13 row oil cooler which I'm going to fit and wondered if it's worth fitting a thermostat. I was thinking of the one above made by Mocol.

Danny,
80C is too cold.
Engine oil should be at about 100C to work properly, so I suspect that your gauge is working but has too low a range, so that "redline" is in fact "Correct temp"!

Calibrate your sender, by popping it in a pan of water and boiling it while observing the indicated temp.
What it reads while the water around it it is boiling merrily is what you want to see in the engine.

It's strange how 'er indoors doesn't understand how important such research is, so a camp stove and cookinmg pot may be a way to avoid ructions.  And it's easier to set up beside the car, so the gauge can be electrified.

I doubt if you need an oil cooler - road cars almost never do, and as Clive says, you do NOT want cold oil.

JOhn

I used an oil temp sensor off ebay (two wire tc)  and a second hand Audi temp gauge calibrated it at work using an hot oil bath amazingly the set up was accurate to about +- 1% FSD(I'm a time server inst tech in old money)  total cost was about a tenner, machined up an inline adapter to take the 1/8" NPT thread of the sensor now located BEFORE the oil cooler thermostat so I can see at what temp it opens .... haven't actually tested it on the road yet as been bogged down with other stuff but will let you know how it works i the next few weeks!

PS agree with everything else said on the thread-don't fit a cooler without a thermostat!

2356 wrote:
I think they're a bad idea without, as the oil gets sent around the cooler before it goes to the rest of the engine. Fine when hot, but bad when cold.

erm not really, the cooler is pressuried all the time, but oil does not flow thru the cooler untill the valve opens.
rest of the time its just acting as normal oil flow.

M

ajp wrote:

Yes 240v AC from the inverter pluged into the fag lighter might throw it off a little! :)

I forgot to tell you it was an electric car. I can only go as far as the local shops in it because the lead is not long enough. I'm saving for a longer lead so I can do the RBRR.

Archived