Oil for spitfire 1500..

WIMPUS

The two Comma 20/50 mineral oils that are common here are Comma "Motorway" and Comma "Sonic".

Comma Motorway, in the blue plastic cans, is of lesser quality and only really fit for running in or use in engines that you don't care too much about, in my opinion.

Comma Sonic, in the yellow plastic can, is very good and has better additives specification (ZDDP, etc) than many more expensive oils.  Marcus (on here, and a respected tinkerer and fount of knowledge) did some reading up on its spec and concluded that it was indeed better in may respects to a lot of well known mineral performance oils, and has used it for a long time in his very quick GT6).  At about £16 for 5L it is quite a bit cheaper than VR1, for example.

michael_charlton wrote:
I keep telling you that you pay over the odds.........we pay £8.00 odd plus vat

How so cheap?

I run comma motorway in my old landy  :P

I've just bought a castrol XL classic for my gt6 does anyone know what it's like? It was twice the price of the comma stuff I use in the landy. It's a brand new motor so I do want to care for it.

sparky_spit wrote:
The two Comma 20/50 mineral oils that are common here are Comma "Motorway" and Comma "Sonic".

Comma Motorway, in the blue plastic cans, is of lesser quality and only really fit for running in or use in engines that you don't care too much about, in my opinion.

Comma Sonic, in the yellow plastic can, is very good and has better additives specification (ZDDP, etc) than many more expensive oils.  Marcus (on here, and a respected tinkerer and fount of knowledge) did some reading up on its spec and concluded that it was indeed better in may respects to a lot of well known mineral performance oils, and has used it for a long time in his very quick GT6).  At about £16 for 5L it is quite a bit cheaper than VR1, for example.

I use Comma Sonic 20w50, as you say the spec is excellent and it's also cheaper than most which is a plus. Think they're phasing out the yellow containers to silver ones, so it might be a different colour when you next buy it.

I was a true fan of Comma Sonic and yes Mike used to get it me for about a tenner per 5L.

In my 1500, its fine for the first couple of months but looses its ability to stay viscous when hot and oil light flickers on tickover, its lfe ends sooner than the Halfords classic oil (Castrol GTX re-branded i belive) i used before.

Costs a bit more but now converted to VR1 as that holds oil pressure so much beter then the Halfords or Sonic when engine is hot.