Adding 2-stroke oil to petrol because of ethanol

Van

firebobby wrote:
There are still garages that sell 4 star petrol, we have one in Marlow, Bucks, I don't know how much a gallon of the stuff is though

He he, I used to live in marlow many many moons ago!  ;)

Used to have a Saturday job at a small garage when I lived in cookham, thats when we had to add the 2 stroke oil in the fuel, from a dispensing machine! Those were the days.

4058 wrote:

He he, I used to live in marlow many many moons ago!  ;)

Used to have a Saturday job at a small garage when I lived in cookham, thats when we had to add the 2 stroke oil in the fuel, from a dispensing machine! Those were the days.

Ah my little lamb, so did you call yourself a Marlowvian :P
Cookham, my car came from there, well that's where it lived for the 1st 20 years of it's life, it came from a garage in Maidenhead  :)

firebobby wrote:

Ah my little lamb, so did you call yourself a Marlowvian :P
Cookham, my car came from there, well that's where it lived for the 1st 20 years of it's life, it came from a garage in Maidenhead  :)

Sorry we are drifting a little, but we are in a state of nostalgia!  ;D

I am from maidenhead! Moved to cookham at about 10 years old,  then later marlow when I work there!

Used to work at barnside motors in cookham village, had to serve fuel, wash cars, polish them, etc etc all the things a wee boy did on sat/holidays for his pocket money! Good times!
We had a white 1500 in the showroom, I used to rush all the others, (rolls royce, Armstrong sidley etc etc) but then I got to the spitfire, ooh I was in heaven, I lovingly polished that car for the rest of the day, it was mint when I had done, I bet the new owners were amazed. I would sit in it and dream of driving it along...........................

Sorry back on thread now!  ;D

That_Man wrote:

I'm pretty sure you can buy av-gas cheaper than that, and that has lead and a higher octane    

Customs & Excise take a very dim view of people putting AVGAS in road cars.

AVGAS100 Might be fine, but will get you one hell of a fine - and its dyed so they know if you've been naughty.

http://www.osbornauto.com/racing/race2avgas.htm

2729 wrote:

Customs & Excise take a very dim view of people putting AVGAS in road cars.

AVGAS100 Might be fine, but will get you one hell of a fine - and its dyed so they know if you've been naughty.

http://www.osbornauto.com/racing/race2avgas.htm

Along with the displeasure of HM Customs & Excise you might find that there is also the matter of the slow burn rate of AVGAS. It is blended to be used in aeroplane engines which do not rev nearly as fast as automobile engines do. For car use you might find that a large increase in ignition advance is required to get the best from AVGAS.
                                                                             Cheers,
                                                                             Paul

1317 wrote:

Along with the displeasure of HM Customs & Excise you might find that there is also the matter of the slow burn rate of AVGAS. It is blended to be used in aeroplane engines which do not rev nearly as fast as automobile engines do. For car use you might find that a large increase in ignition advance is required to get the best from AVGAS.
                                                                             Cheers,
                                                                             Paul

That's interesting as i know some BTCC teams used it back in the 90's while testing, well that was their excuse after some was found in the tank at first meeting of the year.

I must admit i've only used it in the mower  ;)

1317 wrote:

Cheers,
                                                                             Paul

Indeed, hence my link that explains.