Compression test

gilesdive

Hi folks
Just want to pick your brains for a minute. On a 2500 engine (mine is a PI unit in a TR6, CR,  125 bhp version) roughly what should I expect if I put a compression tester on it?

Just cranking it over, I am getting between 70 and 90 psi. There is a bit of a spread of readings there, but do you think they are generally too low? I was advised by one chap they should be well into 3 figures - is this so? If that's the case, head off.

Thanks

Sounds a bit low to me - I would have thought 140 - 180 ish/  Ideally to be equal within 10psi.

Are you doing this with throttle open or closed?  This can make a difference - should be open.

Putting around a table-spoonful of oil into each bore will temporarily improve the ring seal and help determine whether this is a valve or bore issue.

If the engine is an ex-US detox thing they have very low compression ratio so your readings may not be too far off what they should be.

Nick

Ah, did it with throttle closed.
It is not an ex-USA car, it is to UK spec.
Fairly sure it's not piston rings/bores as harly any smoke when it was last running.

Bad news is I have taken back compression tester (only borrowed it) - but not sounding good is it? :'(

Thanks for the quick answer though. :)

Before I rebuilt my 2.5, the compression on number 1 was 7 bar - about 105 PSI with the throttle wide open, all the others were about 140 - 150 PSI. It had a CR of 8.5-1

Both top piston rings on No1 were stuck in their grooves, breaking up on pushing them past the big step in the bore (or broken already). A 20 thou rebore just about cleaned up the wear which was much the same in all bores - that's how bad it was. It didn,t actually smoke much even when cold, the oil control rings were all intact.

As Dave says 70-90 really doesn't sound right.

Glen.

Compression testers are NOT precision instruments!
So the absolute pressure shown by each tester may not compare, other than 'ball-park' .
Far more important than absolute pressure is that all cylinders should be the same.
Suspect any that aren't.
If the oil test doesn't improve pressure, then suspect the valves.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Been a slight delay in getting this done (illness / work) but finally did compression check with throttles fully open - yes, a big difference.
Lowest one was 165 psi and the highest about 175-180, that was without any oil in the bores.
Good news, this suggests valves and piston rings ok, don't need to pull the head off.
All I need now is to actually get it going!

Archived