Clutch master cylinder

sam93

Evening all,

I'm going to be changing my clutch master cylinder on my GT6 MK3 in the next few weeks.

I want to get peoples opinions on, changing the slave cylinder at the same time ?

I'm also going to be replacing the hydrallic line with a custom made rubber/stainless braided line. To do this, I need to know what the fittings are on each end ?

Thanks in advance,
Sam.

My thinking is that it costs about £ 30 each for the MC / SC. However from mev spares you can get both together for £47. Hence it seems logical to me to change both. It also means that there's little possibility of the new silicone fluid which I'll be using getting contaminated by the old stuff.

Why are you replacing the master cylinder? Just because it's old or because it's leaking? Two schools of thought here;

The first is as already said, leave it alone if it's working. If it's not broken why spend out of something you don't need.

The other is to replace it when you've already got the tunnel off. If you've got a weeping m/c then the new one can exert greater pressure and old rubber bits floating around from the original m/c can contaminate and hasten the demise of the slave*. If you're switching to silicone you'll need to at least replace the seals.

To be honest, I'd probably replace it simply because it'll need the seals doing anyway and it gives you a spare.

*dunno how true that is, but it's often said

It needs replacing as it all looks rather suspicious underneath the boot & it has been a little temperamental recently.  I also need to tke out the pedal to sort out the hole which the pin goes through, as it's worn oval with age. So the pedal is a bit sloppy ...

Thanks for all the replies !

ferny wrote:
Why are you replacing the master cylinder? Just because it's old or because it's leaking? Two schools of thought here;

The first is as already said, leave it alone if it's working. If it's not broken why spend out of something you don't need.

The other is to replace it when you've already got the tunnel off. If you've got a weeping m/c then the new one can exert greater pressure and old rubber bits floating around from the original m/c can contaminate and hasten the demise of the slave*. If you're switching to silicone you'll need to at least replace the seals.

To be honest, I'd probably replace it simply because it'll need the seals doing anyway and it gives you a spare.

*dunno how true that is, but it's often said

Hi,
Not too sure about this as the pressure is limited to that required to operate the clutch, which won't change in this case. Bleeding to expel air would remove more rubber bits than the change puts into the fluid.
                                                                      All the best,
                                                                      Paul

If a seal in the system is degraded, it will contaminate the fluid. This contamination will undermine other seals in the system.
Replacing part of the system leaves contaminated seals in place. Your new fluid will be cross-contaminated by the old seals, so the new seals will be attacked, it's a vicious circle.
I have typically found that replacing one end of a system leads to the other end failing within two years. Replacing all seals simultaneously is the way to healthy hydraulics.

Another question - why are you replacing a rigid pipe with a flexible hose?

Cheers,
Bill.

Mainly because of looks, however the joint on custom made hoses is a crimped joint. So you will not ever get any mild seepage around the back of the fitting which you get over time with the standard method. But it's at least 98% for looks as I like the modified look which aerospace stainless hoses provide.

:  )

Thanks for the length "Slimboyfat"