leaking clutch M/C

ferny

I noticed my clutch was leaking before the RBRR so replaced the seals. Everything inside looked fine. No scores or rust or anything. I've just this second had a nose in the engine bay for another reason and seen fluid on the bulkhead. The clutch reservoir is half empty.

Before I take it all apart again to check can you guys suggest what may be wrong? Maybe I didn't put it together properly somehow?

Yeah, park it on the level and clean it up. Next time you look at it see where it's dripped. If it's on the bulkhead side of the master cylinder flanges it's the dripping from the threaded brake pipe connection. If you pop off the rubber dust seal and it's full of fluid then you know it's leaking from there. At least then you'll know where the problem lies.

When you rebuilt your master cylinder, did you thoroughly flush out the rest of the system? Any remaining degraded rubber seal and fluid in the system will quickly contaminate the new fluid. This is why both ends of the system should be rebuilt at the same time. Having said this, your seals have failed in record time, so I suspect there is a more significant underlying problem.
With the cylinder dismantled, you need to ensure that the bore of the cylinder is perfectly smooth, with no grooves or ridges in any plane. Raised crystaline deposits from the old fluid can be polished from the bores, Brasso is good for this. Scoring can be dealt with by honing, but you will need a suitably sized honing stone. As it's a clutch cylinder, so not safety critical,, you may get away with fine wet & dry with copious amounts of 3 in 1 oil. WHatever you use, flush thoroughly with meths or proprietory brake cleaner before reassembly,
Cheers,
Bill.

Archived