Updated EU entry requirements

Just came across this in today's Daily Telegraph.

"The EU’s bloc-wide Entry-Exit System (EES) is due to go live later this year. Under the new regime, all non-EU citizens will have to register to create a digital ID at border checkpoints and then be subjected to a biometric check as they enter the Schengen free-movement area"

Apparently it is currently expected to start in September, just in time for the 10CR!

We have to protect ourselves from you non EU types. 😁

All because of B.....

I have dual nationality, British( by birth) French (by choice) and to visit Britain I would now need to go and get  a passport as ID cards aren't good enough for the UK. Mind you I have no need/intention of visiting the UK - the closest I get is Brittany 😁

It's all a shame really as it makes it a bit more complicated to travel 'c'est la vie' I guess.

4 hours ago, Howard said:

Just came across this in today's Daily Telegraph.

"The EU’s bloc-wide Entry-Exit System (EES) is due to go live later this year. Under the new regime, all non-EU citizens will have to register to create a digital ID at border checkpoints and then be subjected to a biometric check as they enter the Schengen free-movement area"

Apparently it is currently expected to start in September, just in time for the 10CR!

But not for Classic Le Mans!

At present it seems that all France requires is that you sign a form declaring that "On my honour, I have not had symptoms of Covid in the last 48 hours or have been in contact with a case in a fortnight"     How delightfully old-fashioned!

John

2 hours ago, JohnD said:

At present it seems that all France requires is that you sign a form declaring that "On my honour, I have not had symptoms of Covid in the last 48 hours or have been in contact with a case in a fortnight"     How delightfully old-fashioned!

Covid is one thing EES is completely different and is do do with visas/permits to enter and will remain in place when Covid is a long forgotten memory.

9 hours ago, JohnD said:

But not for Classic Le Mans!

John

Where are you finding that info? Not what the government (ours) website says.

Germany looks to be the problem country. More than 180 days since last injection then you cant come in.

1 hour ago, Roger Keys said:

Germany looks to be the problem country. More than 180 days since last injection then you cant come in.

Not sure where you got 180 days from. The UK government website says "You may enter Germany from the UK for any travel purpose if you are fully vaccinated" no mention of 180 days from vaccination. 

1 hour ago, Roger Keys said:

https://uk.diplo.de/uk-en/02/coronavirus?openAccordionId=item-2467132-11-panel

That says 9 months/270 days since last jab. Which makes sense as common to other EU countries. 

Of course, you need a valid passport, and proof that you are vaccinated.     It was being asked to promise "On my honour" that delighted me!

Le Ministere de l'Europe et des Affaire Etrangeres would seem a useful source of information.   In English: Coming to France? Your Covid-19 questions answered - Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs (diplomatie.gouv.fr)

Or, of course, Entry requirements - France travel advice - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) although this Gov is a stranger to 'honour'.

JOhn

17 hours ago, Clive said:

https://uk.diplo.de/uk-en/02/coronavirus?openAccordionId=item-2467132-11-panel

That says 9 months/270 days since last jab. Which makes sense as common to other EU countries. 

So...let me get this right....if you had your two jabs and a booster over 9 months ago .....we have to apply for another to enable the route to be completed?That is to say if we are going through Germany......and how many other countries (re Eu) will apply this rule)?

Edited by Velocita Rosso

2 hours ago, Velocita Rosso said:

So...let me get this right....if you had your two jabs and a booster over 9 months ago .....we have to apply for anther to enable the route to be completed?That is to say if we are going through Germany......and how many other countries (re Eu) will apply this rule)?

Many/most EU countries are saying last jab no more than 9 months ago. We are JUST ok for 10CR by a few days. 

I expect things may well change as the covid levels reduce

Relatives who live in the UK came to visit us in March and were not stopped on the border (drove from south London) neither on the way there or back....

The French/German is an EU border so no real controls ... I have even been to France and on my way home realized I didn't have an identification on me!

We were only ever stopped once at 11 PM when there had been a big robbery at a depot on the Alsatian border. Luckily a BMW going into France was going well over the allwoed 30 kph and the police threw a tire burster (chain with lots of pointy nails sticking out) to stop him and they waved us through...

1 hour ago, DVD3500 said:

a tire burster (chain with lots of pointy nails sticking out)

Here the common name for them is 'hérisson' (hedgehog). Surprised the politically correct mob aren't out to ban them . . .😵

1 hour ago, DVD3500 said:

I've been outside of an English-speaking country for nearly 3 years so sometimes the words fail me...

😄

Wait until it is nearly 30 and you are almost 70 years old . . .

Sorry,what was the question? 😵

3 hours ago, Rosbif said:

Wait until it is nearly 30 and you are almost 70 years old . . .

Sorry,what was the question? 😵

Actually I started a project with most of the people based in UK and because I pretty much watch UK TV all the time my American accent was nearly gone and they thought I might have been from somewhere "down south" like Portsmouth or something.

It wasn't until another American joined the call that I realized I was talking "funny".

It always takes me a few days to start talking "native" when I am "back home".

The kids pointed out to me that I seem to have split personalities. I act and move different y when speaking German and again when speaking French (mostly the body language) but they think I am "coolest" when speaking my "native" American.

56 minutes ago, DVD3500 said:

when speaking French (mostly the body language)

After I had been here for a while I went back to England on a visit and met up with some old friends, during a meal they all came to the conclusion that I had become French because of all the arm waving and shrugging I did as I spoke . .

16 hours ago, Rosbif said:

After I had been here for a while I went back to England on a visit and met up with some old friends, during a meal they all came to the conclusion that I had become French because of all the arm waving and shrugging I did as I spoke . .

It wasn't the wicker seats or the ferret in the cushions?

😄

You think that accents in English are an international problem?     My late wife was from Yorkshire, but spoke in perfect SouthEast when she wanted to, as she had learnt it.   I was rapidly taught that saying "Eeee bah gum, where's ma ferret and flat 'at" was neither clever nor funny, principally because I was no good at accents.     So even after working in the NorthWest for thirty years, I was still known there (I hope affectionately) as that wuss Suthen jessie.

And Daughter went on an engineering course from school, to Cranwell, first girl from a northern school to be chosen.    She came back saying the others had laughed at her, for saying that she caught a 'boos' to school!      She too has followed her mother in learning how to talk Suth.

I'm sure that other languages have regional accents, but are they as great a source of ridicule and enmity as they in English?

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

'm sure that other languages have regional accents, but are they as great a source of ridicule and enmity as they in English?

Of course regional accents exist everywhere. I can now spot a Breton one, Marseilles, and mountains (although Alps or Pyrenees ?). As for making fun of them I doubt if the French poke fun at a Corsican accent 😉