Hi all newbie here

D412REN

1 minute ago, Adrianb said:

Hi,Looks in good nick you will get a lot off help on this forum, keep us informed how she’s going.

Thanks 

I appreciate your comment 

the car was fully restored in 1989 and was then left in a garage since 1994 

we’re it stood for 28 years. 
I’ve changed the brake master front callipers

carb rebuild kit

I'm going to need a few bits if you no anyone who can help with those. 
also does anyone no what the colour code would be yes I no it’s green 😂🙈

it’s only come with the paperwork for the restoration and a old v5 ☹️
no hand books etc 

I also have a pull switch on the dash that looks like adjustable steering column but I can’t see it having that myself

any information will be much appreciated

just added some more pictures the paint is very good 

just loads of elbow grease to get it how it is  

many thanks

Darren.  

0038AAB5-1733-4779-A852-C853D49110B3.jpeg

E3D47411-EA55-4072-8B0A-5D5FFA2D44ED.jpeg

200AC864-248E-40B2-8C53-E158613D7D5C.jpeg

4F980CDC-C47B-4B45-B1B4-7D93C1054E90.jpeg

50A9F7B8-EF25-4DA8-9600-64103BA9249D.jpeg

DA374045-2E7F-44F1-8D26-7ABDBF28530E.jpeg

42 minutes ago, D412REN said:

I also have a pull switch on the dash that looks like adjustable steering column but I can’t see it having that myself

Heater valve? Or choke. Open the bonnet and see what moves when you push / pull the knob. Unless it is actually a switch, in which case it should be wipers or headlights.

Find yourself a copy of the owners handbook online somewhere, it's got some useful info!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, D412REN said:

Post a photo of it!

Heralds do have some adjustment in the column, but not by a pull switch. If you mean that the knob has an icon that looks like adjustable column to your mind, I think that's the heater direction control.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, D412REN said:

That will be the knob that directs air from the heater to either the windscreen or footwell. In the footwell you will/should see the hoses for the warm air and a rectangular 'box' with a flap. With the knob pushed in the flap should be open, with it pulled out closed.

Definitely get a repro copy of the owners handbook, easily found on the sites of the usual parts suppliers.

Nice car by the way. 👍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RobPearce said:

Heralds do have some adjustment in the column,

I forgot to add about that ! Yes there is an adjustable column, a bit fiddly to set up but it does give a good range of movement for and aft.

• Like 1

That isn't an "adjustable steering column".     It's an early safety feature, when otherwise in a forward collision, a rigid column, all six feet of steel, would spear you in the chest.  The column is in  two parts, three, if you count the bottom length with the U/j on top.   The top part is a tube, the middle is a rod, cleverly clamped together so that they turn rigidly, but in a longitudinal impact would telescope, so that you don't get speared in the chest.

Triumph Herald Steering Rack and Mountings | Rimmer Bros

D412ren,

A picture of your dash showing the knob that looks like a steering adjuster would help tell what it really is!

JOhn

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JohnD said:

That isn't an "adjustable steering column". 

The 13/60 has a collapasable steering comumn as you say it also has an adjustable element:

Extract from 13/60 sales brochure - very bottom of pageimg011.thumb.jpg.2cf0f3ef526cb117f9b942742f48d1f3.jpg

• Like 1

As the advertising boys and girls always say, "Out of a bug, you can make a feature!"

The whole "adjustment" is about four inches.  Use it all up, and the collapsing feature becomes the bug, as it won't work anymore.

Moderns use a double U/j, or else a collapsible drum in the column, with a real "adjuster" as well!

John

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JohnD said:

As the advertising boys and girls always say, "Out of a bug, you can make a feature!"

The whole "adjustment" is about four inches.  Use it all up, and the collapsing feature becomes the bug, as it won't work anymore.

Are you saying that the collapsing steering safety feature is only 4"? I can't see that having been totally effective in an accident without a seat belt. With a seat belt on maybe it would have been enough.

Better than nothing, and of course a good bit of positive publicity . .

The idea of the collapsible column is not to allow the full body movement - you'd only end up hitting your head on the windscreen instead - but rather to "soften" the impact with the steering wheel. If the column gives when subjected to a force that the wheel can withstand, then the body is decelerated at the rate commensurate with that force, over a few inches, with the contact area being the rim of the wheel. That will hurt, but not be fatal. Without the collapsible column, the impact shatters the wheel and the hub hits the middle of the chest, and probably punctures it.

57 minutes ago, RobPearce said:

That will hurt, but not be fatal

Broken rib or two then, OUCH!

I wonder how much of the 4" 'safety buffer' I have left on mine ? Too complicated to find out I'll just buy a St Christopher medallion.

Don't need one do I as I'm Christopher. 🤞

3 hours ago, Rosbif said:

I wonder how much of the 4" 'safety buffer' I have left on mine ?

I delved into this before the RBRR last year, because the steering wheel hub was fouling on the plastic stalk cowling on my mk3 Spit. Discovered that the column was just about at the 'collapsible' stopper so would have done me no good in a crash. (Not that I have much faith in the device)

Extended the column out about 2 inches. It no longer rubs on anything and I'm under no illusions about the safety implications!