Problems with Bishop Calway now Aplan insurance renewal

Howard

Bishop Calway have been providing a superb service and did me proud when I wrote off my old TR7 last year. A couple of months back I received a letter that they were handing their business over to Aplan.

My renewal notice from Aplan only arrived a few days before the previous insurance expires and is titled "renewal" but the documentation emailed to me after I rang & paid the fee suggests that they want to treat it as a totally new policy - the previously agreed value has been lost, the agreed mileage is also missing as are the details of the modifications and and they are asking for details of any accidents - all in all its a total mess and I have been unable to get any response to my emails to them. I now have a big problem - should I SORN it as the previous insurance runs out on the 5th & if I do will I be able to "re-tax" it in time for the C2C on the 26th?

Any suggestions guys?

H

Edited by Howard
detail correction

If it was me I'd spend Monday ringing round alternatives, and if successful call them up and tell them to cancel the policy due to the issues. Unless you are driving it I can't see a couple of days out of tax/sorn being a big deal. But now I've said that you'll probably get fined and I'll feel guilty for saying it!

I agree with YS above.  Try Peter James Insurance; I've been with them for many years and they dealt with one accident claim, and one recovery back from Switzerland without hassle. The premium each year has been competitive and I can't fault them really.

I have SORNed my motorcycles and then taxed/insured/MOT'd them shortly afterwards with no problem. I think that the system runs in real time and it just takes one overnight (CRON job?) for the change to take effect, with no apparent limit on the number of times you do it.

Edited by sparky_spit

40 minutes ago, sparky_spit said:

I agree with YS above.  Try Peter James Insurance; I've been with them for many years and they dealt with one accident claim, and one recovery back from Switzerland without hassle. The premium each year has been competitive and I can't fault them really.

I have SORNed my motorcycles and then taxed/insured/MOT'd them shortly afterwards with no problem. I think that the system runs in real time and it just takes one overnight (CRON job?) for the change to take effect, with no apparent limit on the number of times you do it.

I think if you SORN a can, you cannot tax online for several(5?) days, but can tax at the post office. 

I was told that insurance companies do give you a few days grace beyond your renewal date. It could be worse a few years ago direct line decided they didn't want to insure my wife after a string of accidents and one write off. But they didn't tell us the first we new about it was when I said to my wife isn't you car insurance due. When we checked she had been driving around with no insurance for two months. When we queried direct line, they said we don't notify you if we are not going to offer you a renewal. Lesson learnt don't rely on a renewal notice to tell you your insurance is due.

Try ClassicLine Howard. The TR has been with this company for several years now, very competitive premium including UK and European breakdown recovery and homestart. Had the two daily drivers with this company too and a claim last year in relation to Sue's Honda Jazz was efficiently dealt with, ClassicLine recovered costs in full from the other (guilty) party's insurers so no effect on our NCB.

Tim

10 hours ago, Tim Hunt said:

Try ClassicLine Howard. The TR has been with this company for several years now, very competitive premium including UK and European breakdown recovery and homestart. Had the two daily drivers with this company too and a claim last year in relation to Sue's Honda Jazz was efficiently dealt with, ClassicLine recovered costs in full from the other (guilty) party's insurers so no effect on our NCB.

Tim

I’m with  classic line too,  Cherished quoted £156 for my 12/50 herald,  and wanted extra for recovery, legal cover and the usual essentials.

i paid £98 inclusive of everything with classic line, and agreed value of £5000. without asking for a valuation,  staff were extremely friendly and efficient 

Edited by Wendy Dawes