Alternator Mounting

lordleonusa

Hi,

In order to lower the centre of gravity, I intend to change from the Triumph 2000/Vitesse Alternator Mounting to the GT6-3 Alternator Mounting, using one of those nice alloy mounting blocks from Canleys, but I need to know if the long bolt and/or it's spacers, and the 'adjustment' bracket that comes down from the top of the engine are different parts on each car?

I suspect that some of the parts will be the same, whereas others will be different.

Does anyone have the factory parts books handy for the respective cars to compare part numbers please?

Obviously the fan belt will be a different length but I can source that locally.

Does anyone have the exact length of the fan belt on the GT6-3 please?

Many Thanks in advance.

Léon

Just answering my own question:

Vitesse Mk.2 (1971)
Alternator Adjusting Link: 147706
Alternator Mounting Bracket: (block): 214268
Alternator Mounting Bolt: (long): HB0839

Triumph 2000 Mk.2 (1974)
Link: UKC0646
Bracket (block): 147899
Bolt (long): HB0839
Spacer (long): 147472
Spacer (short): 147902
Setscrew: HU1108

TR6
Link: 147952 (early)
Link: UKC0646 (late)
Bracket (block): 147899
Spacer (long): 147472
Spacer (short): 147902

GT6-3
Link: 150340, (unique to GT6)
Bracket (block): 214268
Spacer: 151882
Setscrew: HU1108

It is interesting that the Vitesse was apparently originally fitted with the the same alternator mounting bracket (block) as the GT6, however I do not believe that I have ever noticed that!

Every Vitesse I have seen fitted with an alternator has been (retro)-fitted with a Triumph 2000 bracket, (block) like mine!

L

davesideways wrote:
No idea

But these alternators are the dogs,do,da's.

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=denso+alternator

Same item sold via Brize for ?200.

Size of your fist.

The Suzuki SJ's got something similar to those on, unbelievably small alternator, smallest alternator on any car I've ever owned.

im using one of those little blocks from canly, then bought a 100 anp alternator, and swung it right down and used a universal alternator suport arm from underneath from a lower front engine bolt, see picture, just another sugestion if you want it low.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/22phoenix22/CAR/Finished%20pics/P2240449.jpg

davesideways wrote:
100/80 bulbs, electronic mapped ignition, electric water pump, electric fuel pump, wipers on max....40amps MORE than adequete! with all that running.

Anything over 40amps is just extra DRAG and powerloss.

definatly true for racers, but for the sad people like me who like to use everything when cars turned off and only wants to idle car for as short of time as posible to recharge a larger batery. and on top of most of your list have, 7"screen, sat nav, flip plates, police siren, electric heater, gauges all on when statonary, oh and a nice battery meater so I know when its going down and at what point to recharge it.

but picture was just to show how low the alternatoe can go.

GT6 alt mount, GM alt, but I bought one that allowed me to hang the alt down like that.
http://www.gt6.ca/07/0919b/slides/DSCN2634.JPG

If it ever cooks, I'll replace it with something in line with what Dave is suggesting.

The only improvement I want to make this yr is bore the mount out so I can use a wide bolt, hole is larger on the alt. And I'm not happy with my tension system. Works, but could be better.

Also I'm running the wrong water put so my belt is not 100% straight.

A.

Archived