Alternator choices.

307e

Dynamo died..... so alternator conversion time! Herald 12/50 1967 with a 13/60 engine. The battery is a Lucas 36aH and is new. Car will have halogen headlights, Lucas 6" period driving lamps and ICE over standard.  I have seen 45, 55 and 65aH units for sale, so the question is, which one is best for this car? My first reaction was "highest output is best", but I would like to see what others thought..........
Making new brackets is not really a problem but can the original drive belt be used?

Any help and opinions please!!!

Cheers,

Steve.

45 is probably marginal with original wiring, the other 2 will definatley need extra wires to battery.

You may or may not need a shorter belt.

Brackets are easily obtained as lots of Spitfires / Dolomites had Alternators.

So easy I wouldn't bother making something.

You will also need another adjuster i think.

Cheers

Colin

Fitting is easy. You can buy alternator fixing kit from Canley Classics for about £30 but Existing dynamo setup can be used with spacers and a bit of ingenuity. If alternator output  more than about 32 amps either heavier replacement or additional cable from alternator will be needed.

As always do the maths.
A single 55w bulb draws 5amps (well, a little less but round it up)
so you will run a max of 4=20amps.
Rear lights totals 1amp
heater 5amps?
Stereo unlikely to be more than 5amps, probably much less on average, even when played loud enough to hear.

All in you will be fine with anything over 30amps.

If you can find one for sensible money the baby denso ones are lovely. But only buy genuine....and new.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies!!

I was looking at a 45amp unit as the dynamo has an output of 22A but only in a certain rev band, so it appears from the replies that the 45A alternator should be man enough. I now need another large wire for the solenoid switch to alternator link (the other large tag); any suggestions where to get some or what rating of wire is required. Are there any moderns that run 18ACR units or at least the same plug configuration? The scrapyards round here are run like supermarkets and everything is 'off the shelf' with very limited access to the cars in the yard. So it pays to need something off a modern as a passport because "Triumph" would get a "No mate" without a second thought.

Any help please!!

Steve.

Quote:
Are there any moderns that run 18ACR units or at least the same plug configuration?  
...........nobody has used ACR's for years, but they're still available new or rebuilt quite chaeaply, however most 90's on K series engined Rovers, i.e. 100/214/414, etc, use Lucas A127 alternators with the same  old Lucas 3 pin plug connection as used on the ACR, these are similar looking to ACR units, but bigger, more output, and easier to rebuild if neccesary, and they'll take an old style pulley- scrappers should have loads and loads of these alternators.

• 4 weeks later...

Done the conversion to 18ACR with little problems. Thanks for the advice everyone!!

Just for reference, the original belt tensioner can be used if you grind about 2mm off the underside of the  slotted curved section. The tensioner then needs a 'joddle' to allow the top mount on the alternator to line up. The joddle or step has to be about 10mm. The front lower mount is a shortened original and the rear a long bolt and tube. The belt that fits best is the Spitfire 1300 MKIV  part no:- GVB 11050. (1050mm length).

Hope that helps someone!!

Cheers

Steve.