Davemate

The alternator on my car seems to playing up a wee bit,over the last few days whilst driving sometimes the "not charging light" will light up.The light is only dim but it is on,my volt meter shows just under 12v so it's not charging.
When the light comes on sometimes it goes strieght off after a couple of seconds and sometimes it takes a bit of higher reving.
Going to and from work today it was ok.
I have asked this before but I have forgotten the answers, if I ask for spitfire alternator at my local car spares they will just say "no mate,we an't got any of those"
what do I ask for or what do I look for on the old eBay or is it worth getting an upgraded one from canleys(no doubt other places do them)
The only electrical extras on the car(1500 herald) is an electric rad fan and spot lights !
Is it worth fitting a more modern alternator of some sort

With the ACR you need to get them the correct way round. ie the mounting and adjuster bracket holes can be left or right hand. Take a sketch with you. But easy enough to change if the "wrong" version appears.
Alternator off fords, landrovers
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LUCAS-16-ACR-ALTERNATOR-SERIES-DEFENDER-RANGE-CLASSIC-/200419097740?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2ea9e8bc8c
allsorts will fit with ease.
I got a cute denso alternator very cheap off the bay, meant for a digger.
Many other alternators will fit, but beware pulleys. rare to get the lucas single pulley to swap with a multi-vee type, so avoid those.

This is what I got (I think)., sold elsewhere for about £150 Bit of a bargain! I do recommend, pretty easy to fit with a little effort and a 10mm drill.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DENSO-ALTERNATOR-40-AMP-NEW-/330664737494?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM

Thanks all,
The belt is tight,I never got around to fitting a plug so the connectors are just spades which could be dirty.I'll take the alternator off and check the brushes,if it needs replacing it has to come off anyway and it is a two min job.
To check the brushes,I presume it just like doing the brushes on a washing machine motor !

Hello Dave,

the brushes are held in a plastic holder which also has the regulator attached (square metal can), undo the two small screws holding the holder to the alternator body, if the brushes protrude a reasonable amount from the holder they are probably OK, you could wipe the slip rings with a clean cloth as well while you are at it.

Alec

Just got back from a trip to the bank  ??) and I have to go to work now  :(
so it's now a job for tomorrow
If the brushes are worn are they easy to get and is there any way to check "other bits"
or is not a DIY job to recon your own alternator

ACR brushes are dead easy to get, cheap as chips (but bear in mind that replacement brushes are nowhere near as good as the original Lucas ones) and take minutes to change.....provided you can get the plastic end cover off! Some only need a screwdriver (thin) but others need a very thin box spanner.

if you go for a replacement alternator don't bother with an ACR- they have archaic wafer rectifiers which tend to be troublesome with age (although yours seems ok) get an A127 and swap your pulley over - they look very similar but have a lot more output, a better rectifier,  and again are easy to get.

Quote:
have asked this before but I have forgotten the answers, if I ask for spitfire alternator at my local car spares they will just say "no mate,we an't got any of those"
Any decent spares shop will be able to help- I bought a replacement starter for the Vitesse over the counter last week, it wasn't a problem, it just wasn't on the shelf but it was in within 24hrs. If they've any good they'll have loads of application catalogues behind the counter and they were certainly listing bits for Spitfires (in the Delco book - that's where they found Vitesse starters), although they might have to look under 'Rover' ;D

• 2 weeks later...

Had a problem with my alternator, last Summer...noisy/ignition light on...managed to drive the 25m. home. Called at my local hardware shop/motor factors to see if they could order one. Proprietor came outside to look at the car (64/5 1200 conv./Dolly 1300 eng.) & said he'd got one!!!! Popped into the back of the shop & came out with a brand new 'Vectron'???-or something like that!! Exch.- just said bring the old one in when it had been changed....With my discount, less than 25 quid!!! As he said, 'it's not bad being able to get parts for a car of that age, off-the-shelf!!'  

I have a Herald with a Dynamo on, i want to put an alternator on for obvious reasons, i have a 1300 engine. Those alternators listed above will they fit on my engine with little trouble? I was looking at :-http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LUCAS-16-ACR-ALTERNATOR-SERIES-DEFENDER-RANGE-CLASSIC-/200419097740?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2ea9e8bc8c

You can fit pretty much any alternator on to any engine if its fan is designed to spin in the correct direction but as you are fitting an alternator for the first time to this car and so have to change the mounting in any case, consider using a Denso.
They are small, easy to mount and have an enviable reputation for reliability.

That one is a direct fit as per other triumphs. But I would still use a denso, so much of the reconditioned lucas stuff is short-lived (unless things have changed)
Modern type alternators seem to last forever, and the little denso is a beautiful bit of equipment.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DENSO-ALTERNATOR-40-AMP-NEW-/330664737494?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM

Not sure if this is how others have done it but on the Spitfire 4 I simply have a long bolt through the original dynamo mounting bracket with various spacers on it for different alternators as I used to use it for testing alternators.  The stay is also extended.
Presently there is a Denso fitted (just because I happened to have one) but previously ran Bosch, which are also very reliable (well at least the early ones are) but a bit bulky.

This Denso came off a Cherade that had done 180,000 Klm.
The brushes are a bit down but bearings A1 so just changed the brush/regulator unit from another second hand one.

Archived