Alternator Light Glowing

Straight Six

The red ignition light on my Vitesse has begun to glow dimly when the engine is running at any speed. I converted the car to a Lucas alternator several years ago.

A voltmeter across the output terminal on the alternator and the -ve battery terminal shows 15 volts. I have noticed that the ammeter does not seem to show much charge even after I've discharged the battery. The ammeter reading does stay at zero with the headlights on with the engine running.

The battery is new.

Could this be a problem with the diode pack on the alternator, or a dodgy connection in the wiring loom somewhere?

Thanks

Probably the earth wire from the engine.
Triumph provided a manky length of braid, that often rusts away so that no one knows it should be there, or it is forgotten at some stage in restoration.
Without it, the engine tries to earth to the chassis throrugh the engine mounts, no good, rubber, the gearbox mounts, ditto, via the prop shaft and the differential, also rubber mounted  and the rear suspension, also rubber mounted.  No wonder the alternator has nowhere to dump its charge and the light glows!   I had this, and until I was running the engine in the half dark and friend showed me the glowing corona round the alternator that I realised whet was happening.

Get a length of starter cable, and fix that between the engine and a solid point on the bulkhead.  Don't bother with the chassis, all the electrics earth through the body.    Make sure that the terminal on the cable makes good contact with BARE METAL at each end, by scraping paint away - don't rely on the bolt thread making contact.

John

JohnD wrote:
Without it, the engine tries to earth to the chassis throrugh the engine mounts, no good, rubber, the gearbox mounts, ditto, via the prop shaft and the differential, also rubber mounted  and the rear suspension, also rubber mounted.  

and if all else fails, the exhaust system, clutch hydraulic pipe and the choke cable.

(yes I've melted a choke cable trying to start the car)  :B   :'(

Repro or Recon Lucas alternator diode packs are not exactly known for their longevity - I have been through my fair share - now I have started soldering these in to try and get some reliability

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Capri-Lucas-17ACR-Alternator-Rectifier-Lucas-83166E-4DS5-New-NOS-Original-/280607814346?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item41558772ca

When you think about it, really think, in terms of the whole circuit, disconnecting the alternator is EXACTLY the same as there not being a working engine earth.  That is a LOT cheaper and easier to try first than messing about with diode packs.
John

Hello John,

yes of course, but so what?

An earlier post said to check the lampholder earth, which is misleading as the lampholder is fed from two directions as you know. I.e., it should not have the body connected to earth, this was the question Roger asked.

Alec

Thanks for all the suggestions. I made up a decent earth strap but that didn't do the trick so this evening I fitted a replacement alternator and the light is not glowing anymore, so it looks looks it was the diode pack.

As an aside, the failed alternator was fitted to a scrap Mk2 2000 saloon before I removed it & fitted it to my car and I always assumed that it was a Lucas item, but on closer inspection today it turned out to be an AC Delco. Were many Triumphs fitted with these?

Straight_Six wrote:
but on closer inspection today it turned out to be an AC Delco. Were many Triumphs fitted with these?

Quite a lot of them, between 1970 to 1974 at least. They usually have the three wires and 2 x "L" shaped connectors as the 2000 often had battery sensed AC Delco alternators.,

Regarding earlier discussions on alternators and ammeters, the ammeter to have in this situation is a shunt ammeter. How this works is, a very accurate low resistance shunt is inserted in the alternator to battery cable. As current flows a variable voltage is generated across the shunt proportional to the current flowing. This is applied to the ammeter which is actually a secret volt meter, calibrated to display the current flowing. I used to have one but the shunt died and you don't see them anymore, only industrial ones with LCD displays.

Hello Doug,

there is very much less D.C. in industry now with the advent of inverters but shunt D.C. ammeters used to be very common.

You are mistaken though, it is not a voltmeter as such, but simply a diversion of current proportional to the relative resistance of the shunt and ammeter. I.e. if the shunt has a ninth of the resistance of the ammeter, 90% of current flows through the shunt and 10% through the ammeter.

Alec