Mk 4 spitfire engine oil?

Stevejames

Possibly a running in oil would be wise if the bores have been honed an dnew rings (or a rebore)

Otherwise almost any decent 20/50 is fine for most people. A better class of oil is a good idea if driven hard (ie thrashed, the RBRR or 10CR type of thing)

14 minutes ago, PeteStupps said:

Whatever you go for, Opie Oils have regular 15% discount offers so I signed up for the emails and buy whenever it's cheap!

I got 20% yesterday. Very nice, as I bought 5L each of Dynax S50 and UB, plus 20L of millers 20-60. Really sweetened the deal

• Like 1

When I first started driving and maintaining Triumphs years ago I used to use Duckhams. When I needed some more I couldn't get it so I switched to Castrol GTX. On doing so someone told me to stick to one or the other because they aren't (weren't) compatible/mixable, one being mineral based the other vegetable (or similar) based?

From that point I have stuck to GTX from Opie.

Edited by standardthread

4 hours ago, Clive said:

Otherwise almost any decent 20/50 is fine for most people. A better class of oil is a good idea if driven hard (ie thrashed, the RBRR or 10CR type of thing)

Clive is spot on with this advice, even more critical for a 1500, but still very relevant to a 1300. "bog standard" 20w50 is fine for general usage to even moderate mileage / performance. BUT if you plan some hardcore motoring it's well worth investing in a premium oil, Penrite, Valvoline or Millers performance oils for example. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1