A Smörgåsbord of Triumphs

Clive

I am starting a thread to record my work on my Triumphs

The fleet consists of 

Red Toledo, bought in 2008 after I rolled my spitfire. The car is terminally rusty and soon to be donating much of its running gear to its replacement. The car has had a very hard life with me, initially used for many road rallies, PCTs Autotests and solos. It did start life with a 1500 engine, but after 5 engines, it changed to TR7 power, sprint box and axle. It has faultlessly completed 2 RBRRs in this format. 

Green Dolomite. After 18 months the car has earned a fresh MoT. During the waiy it had repairs to door bottoms, rear wing and arch repairs, chassis leg repairs and a new passenger sill. The interior has changed to black with MGF front seats and a very good sprint carpet set. Mechanically, the recon gearbox (with under 1000miles on it) has a weak synchro on second gear, a little whine from the axle and the prop has a nasty vibration. These will get attended to so the car can be pressed into regular service. Oh, a distributer that was out on loan is winging its way back to me as the fitted one give about zero mechanical advance.

Red mk3 Spit. This is about to be rehomed in France. However the "fast road" engine is being removed along with the CV rotoflex rear end. I have mk1 Vitesse shafts to fit, and a late spit swingspring will be fitted. I am stripping a 1300 engine to go in the car. Initially slightly horrified when I realised that half teh clutch cover bolts were  not done up all the way, the flywheel has teh larger boltholes drilled, but smaller bolts used so not very clever. Then all teh engine backplate bolts were done up only finger tight. On top of that, there was a recessed bore headgasket fitted. I was concernbed as it is a GE block, so was speculating as to why. Maybe the block had been machined? But no, just the wrong gasket, and it looks like it had been like that for some time. Bizarre. Further into the engine, zero wear on the bores (at +30) and the +20 big end and +10 Mains all appear good if a little worn. Thrusts both +10 and worn, I suspect somebody "rode" the clutch The block has been thoroughly jetwashed, the exterion cleaned up and all oilways etc cleaned out. Now sitting in etch, and I will go out and give the block a coat of black. It will be built up with new bearings, lightly hone the bores and a set of fresh rings, new timing chain (tensioner is good) and I have managed to buy a NOS payen headgasket set. Sadly bottom end set will have to be a new one. But when all together it will be a nice, reliable engine. I have stripped a pair of HS2 carbs, remarkably good bodies/spindles, so prtobably just new gaskets and needle valves. I need to find the Delco dizzy and check that over, it appears to be hiding well in the garage.

My ST170 spitfire misbehaved recently, breaking the alternator adjusting arm and losing main beam. Arm now welded up, and I have located a used light stalk as the repro one I fitted when I built the car 7 years ago has mangled contacts. Once sorted I will put that in a lockup to get it out of the way.

At some point a couple more old cars will be joining the fleet, more when it happens. 

Edited by Craig
  • Like 7

• Craig changed the title to A Smörgåsbord of Triumphs

What is it with people who restore cars not tightening everything up properly?

After the 2021 RBRR, we discovered why the overdrive was slowly losing oil.  Bolts not tightened up.

A sound like a failing half shaft.  Propshaft bolts to the differential not tightened up.

Interior bolts to the "H" section coming loose.  Bolts not tightened up.

We checked the rest of the car and found that the bolts on the steering rack were all loose!

It's a bit scary that a "that'll do" sloppiness can put people's lives at risk.

We don't drive the Spitfire much but for it to fail at speed on the RBRR when my daughter may be driving is pretty scary.

We bought a Spitfire with good bodywork but requiring an remedial work after the restorer did a poor engine rebuild.

We now have a good car but have paid the original purchase price again to sort out the mechanics and a respray on dull paintwork.

Worth it though.

Jim.

• Like 1

I planned on swapping the spitfire indicator stalk today. Only to discover the "new" (old, slightly crusty) switch had snapped the securing ring, so it would just flop about when fitted.

This was discovered after I had removed teh cowls and wheel from the car.

I duly ordered a new switch, actually labelled for a Mini (76-84) and then retirned to the car As I was fiddling with the cowls, the dipped beam sprang into life. I investigated by poking stuff, and after a few minutes discovered the light power supply connector had snapped inside its insulation. I didn't have any new such connectors, so snipped one off the old switch, soldered on and heatshrink. All working fine.

And soon I will have a spare, so this one will last forever...

Royal mail strikes are delaying the delivery of my Dolomite distributor, but I am hopeful it will appear tomorrow so I can fit it, and take the car to the local Triumph Christmas lunch on Saturday.

• Like 1

Today I finally got my "good" distributor into the car. And I am building an intense hatred for whoever designed the way it is fitted. Not helped by there being a spurious white blob of paint on teh front pully at about 45degrees ATDC. Guess how I found out?

Anyway, set advanvce at idle to 10 degrees, took it for a drive and it is way better. No pinking, so when I can face adjusting it, I will try 14 and go from there. 

It still feels like it is running weak at 70/light throttle, which goes if the throttle is prodded or the choke is pulled out. More investigation needed...

Meanwhile the 1300 engine is coming together nicely, pistons in, crank in. Ali bridge piece and rear seal housing all helicoiled as one thread had pulled and the others were not great. A bit of futureproofing. And in the post a accuspark EI unit, a swingspring and a few other odds and ends. It will soon be time to start swapping things out the car.....

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday was spent bolting the engine into the red spitfire. Then connecting a few things up. A new coil was fitted, and the points re-checked. New fuel hose made, petrol sucked through and the pump was weeping.  A quick fiddle with the top of teh fuel pump, releasing the screw and rotating the lid to reseat it, and all was well. A small weep on the rear carb inlet pipe on teh float chamberlid took a bit more efoort as it had a crease from goodness knows when, but persistence paid off.

Got to lunchtime, and time to flick the key and see if it would fire up. No. Naddo. Dizzy checked, and the points were not sparking. Removed, a file run over them, refitted and bingo, sparks. Refit cap, flick teh key and it fired up. a tweek of the timing by ear, and despite running rich, it was running. Idled for 30 seconds, then shut down as no water/rad. Off for bacon rolls and tea.

In the afternoon, coolant system fitted, though teh heater connections were an issue. The head has no rear outlet, the HS2 manifold has a single pipe outlet. In the end a T piece was fitted here, and the later spitfire setup was used. Filled with water, fired up again, all good, no leaks. I hadn't forgotten to tighten any jubilee clips!

Then it was sorting the running. Once warmed up, it was obvious it was very rich. The jets had been set up at 10 flats from level. Both were wound up 4 flats. Better. But it didn't want to rev, it was missing. Points gap rechecked, all good. After much ado, I dug out the accuspark EI I had bought. Popped it in and the car instantly ran smoother, and revved cleanly. Lovely. Carbs blanced off, though not far out. 

Next jobs are to bolt the prop up, and road test it. I may use the car on a NYD run to clock up a couple of hundred miles if I manage to get teh interior refitted.

After that, just need swap the rear suspension over, fit std front springs and the rear bumpers. Sounds easy enough....

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Meanwhile... I have had an update from the buyers of the red spit. Their visas are sorted (they live in France) and they are planning to collect in about 4 weeks time. Just a few more jobs top sort.

However, the trusty Jazz is playing games again. Nothing horrendous, but at 17 years old the brake calipers are taking it in turns to seize on a bit. Each time I have done a temp fix by exercising the piston in the naughty caliper. I have bought a set of seals for the calipers, and as no3 played up yesterday, time to change them.

I have just spent 2hrs clearng the car out to find the locking wheel nut key, and put numerous boxes of screws, electrical fittings, rad valve and a myriad of other odds and ends back in the "work"shed. Filled Henry with all the debris, and yes, the key was with the spare wheel/jack. Now a cuppa, get the wheels off and calipers off, clean up and refit. Gill will be back at 4 so she can help bleed them. I shall report back!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clive said:

Meanwhile... I have had an update from the buyers of the red spit. Their visas are sorted (they live in France)

Clive, I don't get that bit - why do they need visas to come and collect a car, or are they planning to stay for a length of time beyond just a visit. I thought that since the UK wouldn't accept the identity card for a European a passport was all that is needed to visit. Maybe they need to get a passport as like me they don't have one, that can take a while in some areas.

1 hour ago, Rosbif said:

Clive, I don't get that bit - why do they need visas to come and collect a car, or are they planning to stay for a length of time beyond just a visit. I thought that since the UK wouldn't accept the identity card for a European a passport was all that is needed to visit. Maybe they need to get a passport as like me they don't have one, that can take a while in some areas.

They are Brits, moved to France after Brexit. And tehy needed to get visas renewed or somthing. They were concerned that they would not be allowed back into France. That is all I know. Suited me, as it has meant I have had more time to faff about prepare the car

Jazz update. All the seals were pretty straightforward in a fiddly sort of way. Got a great tip off youtube for fitting the dust seals, otherwise I may still be doing them, or thrown my toys out of the pram. The pistons were OK tio reuse, but teh actual seals had a lot of crud around and under them. Possibly as the car had very little use until it got passed to us almost 2 years ago. Anyway, plenty of red grease was used in teh hope it will keep everything good for another few years. 

Bleeding them was a bit of a nightmare. Until I got Gill to start the engine to activate the servo, and then it seemed to be easy. No idea why. Did a quick engine oil change too, realised it has been 18months and 10K. Oops. New air filter too, so good for another 12 months.

• 3 months later...

Easter update. The green Dolly has seen a reasonable bit of use. Both for local meetings and also a longer trip up to the Club dinner. It all seems to be working OK, and pretty economical, nudging 40mpg on the dinner trip.

The build of the sprint engine is progressing. Slowly. But the Toldeo has been chopped up, giving up its very good sprint box and axle ready for re-use. I also have a stack of other parts that are too good to weigh in, so expect to see an advert appearing soon.

And today, I popped over to the lockup to get the spitfire. All started up ok after a 3 month layup, out of the lockup, and took the hardtop off to leave in the garage. And then it wouldn't start. Luckily Gill was with me so a quick jumpstart and all was well. 

The spitfire needs a good clean, which is disappointing as I did it last year. It also needs an MoT in the next couple of weeks , so booked it in for Tuesday. I took it for a good run to charge teh battery and blow teh cobwebs away. Lovely, engine spins up to 7k quite happily and all feels good apart from a slight twitch as I applied power on/off, so I will have a look a the back end tomorrow along with an oil/filter change and I may even give the K+N a wash through. 

More as it happens. Trackday at Castle combe in 4 weeks , so I need to get my finger out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve AKA vitessesteve said:

My Jazz is very reliable not exciting in any way a tool. Got mine last year having been inspired by my brother who has run his for 120000 miles on the original clutch and exhaust.

Our jazz has now been passed on to our eldest. Her husband (only recently passed his test) is very happy with it, he is taking to DIY and their old pug107 was rather limiting.  The jazz has now done 3 generations in the same family.

We have replaced it with a Suzuki Baleno (a "fat" swift, nearer Focus size)  which is very low emissions so saves me a fortune in parking. It has a very impressive 1litre turbo engine. 

23 hours ago, Clive said:

Trackday at Castle combe in 4 weeks , so I need to get my finger out

You and me both Clive! My Spit is getting its cobwebs blown out (and hopefully nothing else) on Monday with a run up to Lincolnshire. I need to write up the recent work. Haven't fitted your CV axles yet unfortunately

• Like 1

Yesterday saw the crank and pistones fitted to the sprint short engine. A bit of (very simple) "balancing" was done. I had a total of 12 conrods to choose from. And the 4 new pistons. I weighed them all (pistons were very good, 3 the same, 1 was 4g heavier) The conrods varied more, but I got a set of rods and pistons that are within 1g of each other. As I said, simple and basic, but certainly no downside. 

Then I tackled the head. It had been built up with the old shims. I measured the clearanaces, removed teh cam etc and measured each shim. A rummage thrh the assortment I had spare and eventually I "had" it sorted. Refitted the cam and rockers, only to find 50% the clearances were out. I repeated the exercise, similar result. And at that point called it a day. I will revisit tomorrow.

Also tomorrow I need to refix my spitfire drivers doorglass, but I am a tad worried about the state of the runner. Only once the doorcard if off will the horrors be revealed. 

• 2 weeks later...

Door runner was best descrobed as "well past its best". New ones are eye wateringly expensive. However, a rummage in the garage came up with one. Looked in fantasic condition. But would it be the right side? I reckon a 10:1 chance, and I got lucky. 

So that was fitted with a few choice words, and the glass dropped into a bed of FixAll (my favorite sealant). Once it had 24 hrs to cure, a good dose of Dynax S50 was applied to hopefully prevent this one rusting.

Recent Spit mot passed with the usual advisory on front wheel bearings (they are correct) but the bloke is very fair. I did ask him to carefully check the radius arms as the car felt like it had a slight twitch with power on/off, but he said nothing untoward. I have ordered a new set of poly bushes as a precaution, and I am going to swap the rear spring in an attempt to fix a "clonk" from the rear NS. I have previously swapped shocks with no change, and also had the radius arms off and checked. Nothing seemed wrong, so I am running out of ideas. 

• Like 1