Contemplating a TR - But which one?

Anthony

I'm looking at adding another car to the collection.

I've been wanting a TR for some time, but have never been able to make my mind up on which one.

So, I'm hoping you guys can help me think things through.

These are my thoughts so far:

TR2: I really like the interior and exterior design of the TR2. However, I've heard they aren't great to drive, and that they aren't practical. Consequently, it might not get used very much.

TR3: I prefer the looks of the TR2 compared to the TR3. I don't know if the TR3 drives any differently/better than the TR2. Practicality would be the same, which I'm guessing is poor.

TR4:  I like the looks of the TR4, but it's not as striking/unusual as the TR2/3. I prefer the interior of the "White-dashboard" TR4s compared to the later "Wooden-dashboard" TR4s. I've heard the TR4 is better to drive than the TR2/3, but with basically the same engine. The TR4 would also be more practical than the TR2/3, so it would probably get used more.

TR5: I Like the exterior of the TR5 a little more than the TR4, but I prefer the interior of the early TR4 compared to the TR5. The TR5 has the same practicality as the TR4, but the TR5 would be nicer to drive, due to the different engine. Consequently, the TR5 would get used more than all of the aforementioned cars. Prices are high for the TR5, especially compared to the TR6 which is mechanically identical.

TR6: I prefer the exterior design of the TR5 and TR4 compared to the TR6. I prefer the interior of the early TR4 compared to the TR6. The TR6 will drive the same as the TR5, so it will be the nicest driving car, as well as the most practical, Prices are more reasonable for a TR6 compared to a TR5.

So, based on exterior looks I'd go for the TR2 or TR5

Based on interior design I'd go for the TR2 or early TR4

Based on practicality and drivability I'd probably go for the TR5 or TR6 -- Although I haven't driven any kind of TR yet, so I could be completely wrong here

Based on pricing I'd go for the TR6 over the TR5

I'm hoping you guys can chime-in and give me your thoughts on the different cars.

How do they compare to one another in terms of drivability and practicality, etc.

What are there driving positions, leg-room, etc. like?

Is there anything else I've missed?

I think my order of priority is 1) Drivability, followed by 2) Practicality, then 3) Looks.

P.S. -- I already own a Herald 1200 Saloon with a Spitfire MK2 specced engine, as well as a GT6 Mk3 with a high performance 2.7 litre engine

The Herald has the offset driving position that I'd like to avoid as much as possible, and the GT6 has a similar (albeit higher spec) engine to the TR5/TR6

Do the TR cars have a better driving position than the Herald?

Will the TR5/TR6 be too similar to the GT6 (because of the engine)? Or will the driving position and convertible-factor make them completely different experiences?

Thanks,

Anthony.

Edited by Anthony

Hi Anthony

I am sure that which ever TR you end up getting you'll enjoy it, have a look at the buyers guides on the TR register, link here https://www.tr-register.co.uk/tr-buyers-guides. You could go to one of the TR local area meets and talk to the owners of the cars, better in summer when the hibernating cars come out!

A few points to consider - Triumph changed the 4 cylinder engine size from 1991 for the early cars to 2138 for the TR4 and 4a, and fitted the 6 cylinder 2.5 engine with PI for the TR5 and 6. The 4 cylinder engine is a wet liner engine so it's relatively easy to change the capacity by changing the liners and pistons, my 4 is a 2290 with 89mm liners and pistons. Like the spitfire/GT6 there are plenty of tuning options for the engine along with many suspension upgrades etc.

The TRs up until the TR4 had a simple chassis with a live axle rear suspension, the 4A, 5 and 6 got changes to the chassis to accommodate independent rear suspension. So the later cars, as standard have a more compliant ride

As you have triumphs you probably know that you need to have an overdrive, the early cars have it on 2,3 and 4 whilst the later TR6's have it on 3 and 4.

The 4 has the largest boot, the 4A, 5 and 6 loose some space because of the changes to the chassis for the independent rear suspension. 

Throughout the production of the TR range from 1954 by far the majority of those cars made were for export, mainly to the US. These US specification cars are now being reimported to UK with many being converted to righthand drive. The later 5 and 6 for the US had the PI replaced by carburettors and emission stuff which means they had a lower BHP.

The 4, 4A and 5 came with the option of a Surrey top which combines the benefits of a soft top with a hard top, with a removable roof section which could be replaced by a fabric roof, or simply left open. There are factory hardtops for the rest and some after market ones.

I have driven both spitfires and a GT6 and whilst the TRs are a narrow car they are a bit wider than the spitfire/GT6. You don't get the excellent access to the engine/front suspension you do with the spitfire/GT6 on the TRs. 

Dave

• Like 1

I admit to being biased but note you omitted tow TR's - the most sold (TR7) and the fastest (TR8). Taking your points in reverse order

3) Looks - they are marmite cars and either liked or loathed, so that is a personal decision. I like the DHC and the hardtop has grown on me.

2) Practical - more modern and designed with safety in mind so a lot safer to be in if something goes awry. Huge boot for carrying everything you may ever want - french wine, camping gear, golf clubs and the odd spare or two to assist other when they break down. When looked after the seats are still comfortable after 48 hours driving. Keep to the later versions and allow for a few minor mods ( better rear view mirror with uprated brakes and modern wheel/tyres) & you will be totally happy driving anywhere from the Stelvio to the M25 via the German autobahns cruising at the ton.

3) Drivability - handles much better than expected and the more bendy the road, the more you will enjoy it - but if you want to simply sit back and enjoy the view it will eat up the miles at a decent fuel consumption (30+mpg) and a fuel tank large enough to not worry where the next fuel station is located! If you want serious speed go for a genuine TR8 with the 130mph + performance (expensive and rare) or a proper TR7 V7 conversion (Grinnal - very exclusive or S+S - readily available & reasonably priced)

18 hours ago, Howard said:

admit to being biased but note you omitted tow TR's

Are the TR7 and TR8 called "tow TRs" because this is how you mostly get them home?  Sorry, but couldn't resist...

Personally, I favour the TR2 through TR4.  The 3 improves on the original 2 but they all use the brilliant Standard Vanguard 4 pot engine https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_wet_liner_inline-four_engine  also used on tractors and my Renown and Roadster which I owned 50 years ago.  So reliable, so easy to maintain - and I do like the old fashioned dip at the back of the TR2 and 3 over the modern 4 through 6 design, although there is still a vestigial dip at the back of the doors on the 4 through 6.

I may get intro trouble again, but when I was working for Lockheed as an apprentice a Triumph engineer told me that the "styling" swage line on the TR7 sweeoing down from the rear wing was actually put in to solve a drumming resonance of the bodyshell at around 60mph.

22 hours ago, Anthony said:

<snip>

Will the TR5/TR6 be too similar to the GT6 (because of the engine)? Or will the driving position and convertible-factor make them completely different experiences?

I own both a TR6 & a Mk1 GT6, the driving experience is different, the TR feels almost spacious after a run in the GT6 for a start. My GT6 has slightly more power available than my TR but the latter offers more usable power because of its more predictable handling characteristics. I was comfortable completing the RBRR in the TR, I don't think doing in the GT6 would be such a positive experience, unless I were to lose a lot of weight in advance!

34 minutes ago, iani said:

I don't think doing in the GT6 would be such a positive experience

I've done it five times in a Mk3 GT6, once in a TR4(A?), once in a TR7 and once in a Spitfire (and some saloons but...)  The GT6 is OK - much better now its propshaft is balanced - but the Spitfire was much more fun. The TR7 was... err... not a positive experience, but then it wasn't as well sorted as Howard's. The TR4, on the other hand, was not mine and was very well sorted and made it look easy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RobPearce said:

I've done it five times in a Mk3 GT6, once in a TR4(A?), once in a TR7 and once in a Spitfire (and some saloons but...)  The GT6 is OK - much better now its propshaft is balanced - but the Spitfire was much more fun. The TR7 was... err... not a positive experience, but then it wasn't as well sorted as Howard's. The TR4, on the other hand, was not mine and was very well sorted and made it look easy.

I did caveat my comment Rob, were I physically smaller I'd be happy to do RBRR in my GT6, I drove it from Ullapool to Corby in 12hrs, only stopping for fuel a few times, that was ok but I wasn't trying to sleep at all, prob a good job as I was on my own!

I can only compare between a GT6 and a TR6, not driven live axle TRs (inlc 7s).

Twisty narrow road, I would go for a GT6 as one can place the car so much better. I think GT6s are in their element when driven down fast A roads, put them onto the motorway and the fun goes. TR6 is very good on a motorway as the long legged gearing makes it easy to get mileage done, they do handle ok in a sloppy sort of manner and are fairly predictable. TR6 suspension is more compliant, so feels like it has a better ride. As the TR6 has more power, I think a GT6 would struggle to keep up with a well driven TR6, but there is not a lot in it.

I am 5ft 8in so driving a GT6 is very easy for me, in fact it feels like there is more space to me. Also, the GT6 has more storage space: dashboards cubby holes and the space between the seat and the crossmember is very useful. The TR6 annoys me as apart from the door pockets and the glove box there is nothing apart from behind the seat, where can you place a bottle of water?

TR6's convertible aspect is great when the weather suits it. Me, I rather the GT6 experience.

Its weird, but in a way they are both very different, but in other ways very similar. I rather the GT6, but after 39 years of ownership, I would say that. However, if faced with a lot of driving in one day with the need to get somewhere, I would probably reach for the TR6s keys.

Forgot about maintenance...GT6 by far. However the TR6 is more sturdy, better transmission and stronger components. I rather the revvy 2.0L six in the GT6, althought the torque of the 2.5L engine should not be discounted.

As with all Triumph cars, they all respond to tuning as the major parts: Brakes, Engine, transmission and suspension can be improved quite drammatically.

GT6 parts are cheaper as they do not have the TR Tax that some of the TR suppliers attach their prices......!

16 hours ago, Tim Bancroft said:

I can only compare between a GT6 and a TR6, not driven live axle TRs (inlc 7s).

Twisty narrow road, I would go for a GT6 as one can place the car so much better. I think GT6s are in their element when driven down fast A roads, put them onto the motorway and the fun goes. TR6 is very good on a motorway as the long legged gearing makes it easy to get mileage done, they do handle ok in a sloppy sort of manner and are fairly predictable. TR6 suspension is more compliant, so feels like it has a better ride. As the TR6 has more power, I think a GT6 would struggle to keep up with a well driven TR6, but there is not a lot in it.

I am 5ft 8in so driving a GT6 is very easy for me, in fact it feels like there is more space to me. Also, the GT6 has more storage space: dashboards cubby holes and the space between the seat and the crossmember is very useful. The TR6 annoys me as apart from the door pockets and the glove box there is nothing apart from behind the seat, where can you place a bottle of water?

TR6's convertible aspect is great when the weather suits it. Me, I rather the GT6 experience.

Its weird, but in a way they are both very different, but in other ways very similar. I rather the GT6, but after 39 years of ownership, I would say that. However, if faced with a lot of driving in one day with the need to get somewhere, I would probably reach for the TR6s keys.

In the 4A I carry a bottle of water tucked conveniently within reach between the driver's seat and door Tim, is not there a similar space on the 6?

I had a 2.5 Spitfire for 30+years and decided i needed something more "grown up and comfortable" as you do when you get older. Looking at the TRs they were not much bigger that the Spitfire and i am guessing much slower and thus were dismissed.... Tim is right about the "point and squirt" of a Spitfire/GT6 especially with Cvs/rotoflex..

As you can guess from my user name  the route I went and the Stag is a nice old GT cruiser and can be husseled along and does handle very well surprisingly. They sound really good too!

The down sides sure it could do with more power and i am always trying to  make sure there are no noises from the engine and praying it doesn't go bang..... But if you can get over that i would suggest you go and drive  a good one. 

i was in the lucky position of having them both for a while and had the choice of driving either and i found that the Spitfire was no being driven much, which said it all..... So it was moved on.... 

• Like 2

I have a TR4 & TR6, so here are my comments: It has been a while since I last drove the TR4 (22 years), & whilst the TR4 is prettier to look at, I prefer driving the TR6, certainly on any driving events.  Why ? Well, the IRS makes the ride much more comfortable and complaint, especially on today's roads. The engine is much smoother, more powerful, and sounds like a sports car.  The overall drive is more effortless, and I think you would get out of the car, feeling a bit more refreshed than a TR4.

Both are great cars, in different ways. A TR4a will have a more comfortable ride Vs a TR4, but there is no substitute for CC's !

Cheers.

Edited by TRTOM2498