Under bonnet smoke

Steve P

Doing a few bits to the Vitesse today,tried to start it for the first time in a couple of weeks due to work.
It cranked slowly,that`s not unusual as it a fairly tight 2.5 high-ish compression.

After about 15 seconds there was a smell of burning and smoke from under the bonnet,i found the lead to the starter from the solenoid overheating and the - terminal on the battery boiling hot.
Any ideas? i thought maybe engine earth?.

It has a high torque starter btw.
Steve

You can run jump leads parallel to the earth or battery leads to see if they are at fault.

Is the engine stiff to turn?

Take the starter off the engine and see if it spins over ok?

You can do without the starter solenoid as the Hi-Torque has its own one. You just need to run the thin White/Red starter wire down to the starter from where it terminates at the solenoid.

Quite often the Hi-Torques fail due to erroded tags in solenoid. (but that causes a click and no cranking, rather than smoke, heating and burning).

Well i have removed the solenoid and made up a new heavy cable from the starter to the battery.I also removed the link wire on the starter and extended the red/white down to the starter.

I have grounded the engine as well with the old solenoid cable.

Now the car has no electrics,is the heavy brown wire on the solenoid the main fuse/ignition feed?,if so i will make a new one from the battery.
Cheers
Steve