It took me some time to buy this.....

Jason

.... about 7 years in fact!

It's been in store and off the road since 1996 so it needs some recommissioning and finishing off, there are some un-diagnosed engine issues (suspected defective cam / premature lobe wear) and the fuel system needs going through. It'll need a set of tyres and a hydraulic overhaul, some paint work on the bonnet and the hood has shrunk quite a lot. However, it was assembled really well using some excellent parts so I have to keep up the standard of the PO. Having now sold my TR6, I have the funds to spend, just need the time now!

IMG_0023_Engine left hand side ancillaries.JPG

2013-05-29-658.jpg

• Like 3

@Adrian - the white roof is not to my taste, although it may grow on me, I especially wanted a black mohair roof - that's a decision for after the car is a runner and I've lived with it for a while I think (or the first time I'm rained on!)

@Dave - Once bitten.... so that's a NO! from me. There are quite a few of his components on the car but I couldn't take another ride on the emotional roller coaster again so I'll be messing this one up myself and spend the savings on beer. Besides, I though I might bring it up to you for fettling 🙂

Yes, de-chromed or rather de-stainlessed or is that just stained? No matter, let's stick with 'mostly de-chromed. I quite like the look, it's what drew me to the car in the first place, before I knew about the many other modifications.

The bulkhead has been partially removed and the heater plenum slimmed down. It's all been replaced with a little 'birdcage' strengthener arrangement - still needs a heater but we have a plan (I say 'we' as I'm happy to work with the PO and take advantage of his research/knowledge/ideas).

At the rear, the spare wheel well is deepened to fit the full sized, wide spare in - I may yet go skinny space saver as the alloy fuel tank sits over the spare wheel well and so you can't actually get the spare in it. Rear valance is extended to mask the deepened spare wheel well. It's all very subtle and I keep finding little touches that I haven't noticed before. I've had it in the garage untouched for a few months as I promised Mrs C that I would sell the TR6 first - silly thing to do really!

On 19/05/2021 at 11:47, mpbarrett said:

Nice 'mean' looking car. 
BTW What made you go back to a  Vitesse?

I have had Stag, GT6, TR6, they have all come and gone but I have always kept my (now much modified) Herald! 

Mike

I realised that I really like a Vitesse - rarer than a TR yet less precious somehow - and although I missed my old yellow one (and I did have the option to buy it back) I wanted this one - it was the inspiration to PI the yellow one and well, it was different and needed resurrection. Seeing as almost all the cars buy need some resurrection or have been off the road for many years, it seemed like a good idea at the time 🙂

I can remember admiring this Vitesse way back in the mid 80's at one of the TSSC Shows at Telford (Motec?).

It still looks immaculate now, although I do know the PO did a lot of further restoration work and modifications to it after.

Hope to see it at one of the Triumph Shows this year maybe?

Gary  

24 minutes ago, Tim Bancroft said:

Not in the garage though eh! Its static!

Yes but you still won't see it 🤪

I've been at the fuel system today, removing the pump, filter and some rotted out pipework - apart from the rubber pipes the rest is in good order - pump runs, filter's not crusty - will test and/replace both but these will be good for mock up as I need to sort out placement and also some sort of adjustable pressure relief valve. Sod's law has operated and the stock of PTFE hose I have doesn't look like it's the same size as the stuff on the car - so I feel a study of the Goodridge catalogue coming on!

Nice looking Vitesse. Like the de-trimmed look. I can see the bell housing, and mods to the bulkhead. Was that to try and stiffen it up or to create room to reposition the engine and box. Lots of mods, looks good.  

1 hour ago, MarkB said:

Nice looking Vitesse. Like the de-trimmed look. I can see the bell housing, and mods to the bulkhead. Was that to try and stiffen it up or to create room to reposition the engine and box. Lots of mods, looks good.  

It was an exercise in stiffening up the body - I half expected the engine to have been moved back but it's still in the stock position.

• 6 months later...

Stylish looking Vitesse Jason. Its quite incredible how different the car looks with modern mags and being de-chromed. Slimmed down and aggressive. Thats a serious looking engine! 

Do you have any more photographs or a video with the engine fired up? 

Best,

Jason 

Thanks,

It's not my work yet but I'll get my stamp on it.

Engine hasn't run for many years, it needs work and as soon as I can get the time  I'll be getting running 😁 I think I now have all the bits to get the fuel system back together  - just gotta figure it out!

More pics when I get the urge.

• 3 weeks later...